Shake whipping cream, make butter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Made butter from online instructions. I put a pint of room temp heavy whipping cream into a quart jar, lidded, and shook. Soon you have whipped cream. Keep shaking (a bit harder- it sticks a bit) and the buttermilk separates out. Shake some more, pour it off, add water and shake to rinse it.

I was surprised- it was fun and produced a surprising amount of butter! Probably a fun project for kids.
image.jpg

Might want to try this with my 4 year old, as we always have a container or two left over after holidays. I use some for Irish Coffee, but not all of it.

However, what do you mean by this statement?

...pour it off, add water and shake to rinse it.

I don't know about butter . . . but there's nothing quite like home-made, thick whipped cream.

On a side note . . . as a kid my grandmother (Nana) used to make butter and sell it at local stores. Was pretty darn fresh since I would help my grandfather bring the milk from their cow inside. My Nana would then skim the milk and then it was put into a hand cranked glass churn. I think she must have added salt . . . there may have been some other steps . . . I just remember after cranking it would thicken up and she would press the butter into a mold and then wrap them in thick paper. Sad thing is . . . I grew up eating only margarine . . . I suspect today I would have loved that butter.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Dang it. Now I am gonna have to try. Any specific cream content, or any other catch 22? I have heard of people using a food processor too, but have never witnessed it.

Ahhh...found one.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Butter-2/

Dang it. Now I am gonna have to try. Any specific cream content, or any other catch 22? I have heard of people using a food processor too, but have never witnessed it.

Ahhh...found one.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Butter-2/
I went with the "no tricity" method. I read that heavy cream is best, heavy whipping cream should work. 33+% is supposedly what you're looking for

Reactions: Jags
Screw that, there ain't no Nitrous to suck down and catcha buzz off of!
Whipits, I want my whipits!!!!!!!!

Reactions: firebroad and pen
I've done it in the Cuisinart.

I have one of these. I fill it up with cold cream and pass it around class to make my advanced bio organic chem lesson somewhat palatable.
churn.jpg

Reactions: woodgeek and Ashful
I did it in 3rd grade or something. Spread it on some crackers and it was sweet and savory.

Reactions: osagebow
Made butter from online instructions. I put a pint of room temp heavy whipping cream into a quart jar, lidded, and shook. Soon you have whipped cream. Keep shaking (a bit harder- it sticks a bit) and the buttermilk separates out. Shake some more, pour it off, add water and shake to rinse it.

I was surprised- it was fun and produced a surprising amount of butter! Probably a fun project for kids.View attachment 124672

I like the butter dish. why the double handles? Is it a soup cup?

The buttermillk can be used in cooking.

The buttermillk can be used in cooking.
Marinate chicken for one hour, then typical dredge in flour/egg/panko bread crumbs. Fried chicken at its best.

i learned this on accident when I was younger. I'm still convinced there's nothing wrong with frosting a cake with butter...mom disagrees.

is there still no "double like" button?

Every holiday my mom made homemade butter. I learned very quickly to disappear if I didn't want to get stuck with the job of shaking a container for what seemed like hours!

When I was a kid milkin' and churnin' was 2 of my regular jobs, glass churn ( 2 gallon, I think ) w/crank and gearbox on top, once it got to be butter Mother took over ........... guess I wasn't trusted with the technical and sanitary stuff ...............

First time I ever heard of it was back in the 60's when my little cousin was in kindergarten. The teacher asked that each child bring in a half pint of cream--I'm sure it was whipping cream. They didn't even open the cartons, just shook and shook.
I remember my Aunt saying, "Kippy, tell Sue what you made in school today." His eyes got wide, his face split into a big grin as he exclaimed, "Butter!"

Great Pic, AP--also, what did you do with that REAL buttermilk? I don't care to drink it, but I would use it for making good stuff to eat.

Last edited:
I like to use buttermilk for breadmaking......yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.