Sheet Metal Floor Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
I'm pretty sure I decided on a pre-2020 Lopi Endeavor. I'm currently going through some hoops with our insurance company.

I called to check how it would affect our premiums (+$150 a year) — but they also informed me that they have additional requires outside of the manufacturer requirements. One of these requirements is 18" on all sides of the stove door. This kind of screws me because it makes the floor protection creep closer to a doorway than I wanted.

I was going to order this product, AC02709B, 41 1/4" X 44" BLACK STEEL HEARTH PAD

But with the new requirements, it's not large enough. So now, I'm currently looking at getting a 5' wide x 4' deep piece of 16 or 20 ga sheet metal, having the corners slightly rounded, and then powder coated.

This is going over our hardwood floor. Eventually, we want to move a door and pour concrete flush with the floor (something more permanent), but I want to burn for a season or two before doing anything drastic.

Has anyone done something similar? I'm concerned that the sheet metal won't lay flat.

I really don’t see how they can require more than the manufacturer requires. That doesn’t seem right.

I really don’t see how they can require more than the manufacturer requires. That doesn’t seem right.
I was thinking the same thing. Im trying to clear it up with them. The lady on the phone said the requirements was just for floor protection. But, the brochure she emailed has a lot of extra clearances. If that's the requirement it would keep me from getting the stove based on the amount of room we have. You would basically need a very large dedicated alcove to meet their requirements. This is our local Farm Bureau agent.

I think I’d ask to talk to someone else. I’ve seen them ask for 18” in front rather than 16”, but that’s pretty easy to give them usually.

It sounds like she has sent you the requirements for an uncertified stove. Your stove is UL certified and lab tested. Provide them with a PDF copy of the manual pointing out the page that has the tested hearth requirements.

They should accept the manufacturers specs for floor protection but they are writing your policy and can require pretty much what ever they want in the conditions of that policy.

Get a new insurance company. Tell them you have the stove and it is installed to the manufactures spec. Send them the information (spec sheet) from the stove company.

They waived it all after taking with them more and forwarding the manual. Case closed. Haha.
Good most of the time they do that

I'm pretty sure I decided on a pre-2020 Lopi Endeavor. I'm currently going through some hoops with our insurance company.

I called to check how it would affect our premiums (+$150 a year) — but they also informed me that they have additional requires outside of the manufacturer requirements. One of these requirements is 18" on all sides of the stove door. This kind of screws me because it makes the floor protection creep closer to a doorway than I wanted.

I was going to order this product, AC02709B, 41 1/4" X 44" BLACK STEEL HEARTH PAD

But with the new requirements, it's not large enough. So now, I'm currently looking at getting a 5' wide x 4' deep piece of 16 or 20 ga sheet metal, having the corners slightly rounded, and then powder coated.

This is going over our hardwood floor. Eventually, we want to move a door and pour concrete flush with the floor (something more permanent), but I want to burn for a season or two before doing anything drastic.

Has anyone done something similar? I'm concerned that the sheet metal won't lay flat.

I'm looking into metal pads as well. I see your situation worked out and looks like you'll be purchasing yours with predetermined dimensions. You mentioned custom making one out of metal. Was this going to cost about the same as most pads? $350-$500?

I am interested in making something as it seems most premade pads go from 40" depth to 48". I want to use the stove's minimum hearth requirement of 42"Wx44"D

I'm looking into metal pads as well. I see your situation worked out and looks like you'll be purchasing yours with predetermined dimensions. You mentioned custom making one out of metal. Was this going to cost about the same as most pads? $350-$500?

I am interested in making something as it seems most premade pads go from 40" depth to 48". I want to use the stove's minimum hearth requirement of 42"Wx44"D

I would think it would be much cheaper if you were going with thin (16-20ga) cold rolled steel. I was assuming around $200-$300 to have a piece cut, rounded and powder coated. I have no idea though. Just going off what my dad estimated. He's a machinist.

You just have to find the right people locally.

My concern was getting it to lay totally flat at a large size.

I still might be making a custom sheet because my trim is screwing me over since it's 8" tall.

Right now I'm at
0.75" (trim) + 4.25" (Endeavor close clearance to wall) + 23.5" (Endeavor depth to door) + 16" (front door clearance) =
44.5" :(

I should probably add the trim anyway since there is an outlet directly behind the stove and it sits shorter than the trim. So I don't have to worry about the inspector factoring that in instead of directly to the wall.

The width of the purchased piece with 41.5" anyway, and I can go 36". So I think I'm going to make a custom piece that is 42" x 36" and like 18 ga thick. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyway, before I do anything I'm going to call the county inspector and have him come check my measurements and try to get in writing that all is good. Then get the hearth cut to the proper size.

Pain in the ass so far, but it will be worth it. Found a stove I liked that will fit, got it OK'ed by insurance, now just need to confirm with the inspector.

Don't go with the minimum unless you have absolutely no option

Hello Folks,

Due to clearance restrictions above my pellet stove, I too am looking at a sheet metal hearth pad that will be powder coated.
Another factor is that my hardwood floor is 80 years old and not even.
I plan to screw down a hardwood strip to hold down the outer edges of the hearth pad.

A key factor is what gauge of sheet steel to use.
What do you think is best?

Right now, I am leaning to 16 gauge.

22 ga or lower will work well.

Thank you begreen.
I need to hold down the front edges.
What would be the thickness sweet spot in order to hold the pad down with hardwood strips screwed down?

Costs here in Northern California hover around $120 for the steel and $180 for the powder coating.
Should I move the hearth pad, the stove, and me to somewhere else?

Thank you begreen.
I need to hold down the front edges.
What would be the thickness sweet spot in order to hold the pad down with hardwood strips screwed down?

Costs here in Northern California hover around $120 for the steel and $180 for the powder coating.
Should I move the hearth pad, the stove, and me to somewhere else?
22 will work fine if the edges are held down.