Shiny pieces of ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southbridge06GT

Feb 23, 2008
Central Mass
A friend of mine called yesterday and asked if I ever had seen anything like this before. I told him no, but I knew who to ask. You! He says they are shiny glass like clumps in his stove. Any ideas on what would cause this? He has an Englander stove.

Clinkers. Due to not-so-great pellets, usually. What brand is he burning?

macman said:

Shoulda figgered YOU would be the first to jump on that thread title, macman

hossthehermit said:
macman said:

Any time he see's "Shiny pieces of ash" He kind of gets all excited even! :lol:

jtakeman said:
hossthehermit said:
macman said:

Any time he see's "Shiny pieces of ash" He kind of gets all excited even! :lol:

"Shiny pieces of ash" Ohhhhh......Nooooo !!!!!!

I used to chase after them in my youth...........Glad I never caught any.........Makes for a extremely high maintenance installation !

Dirt or sand in the pellets?

Salt is the most common cause as far as I know. High concentrations can cause super clinkers. That's why wood floated to mills are a no-no for pellets. It is also caused by too much heat in the burn pot, or not enough combustion air to expel the ash. They can look kind of cool, sometimes.

One of the regional pellet makers wanted to use trestle wood. It's from the railroad trestle across the Great Salt Lake that was reclaimed some years ago. The wood went to Idaho and the saw dust and shavings were hauled to a pellet plant. The stuff messed up the machinery, and made a whole lot of pellets unsaleable as fuel. They were able to mix with others and sold as bedding.

woodsman23 said:
.....I thought for a moment Slickplant was here..... :down:

Did someone here mention SlickPlant?????? Where? When? How many sparks from the pipe??? :eek:hh:

Status
Not open for further replies.