Shipping charts a new course

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Maersk shipping is huge. They dominate the shipping industry. The company has 8 new methanol-powered container ships on order. This is a game changer for the marine industry. They are not only building the ships, but also the supply chain for the fuel.

And the methanol?

Reactions: semipro
Your post prompted me to see what is being done to mitigate air emissions on ships burning oil as many do.
As it turns out, stack scrubbers are being installed and emissions have been reduced. Unfortunately, the nasty stuff that accumulates in the scrubber systems, in many cases, is simply washed into the nearby marine environment.

It seems like this might be a good application for CNG?

Good for cleaner burning.
But if the methanol is made from fossil fuels, (some) problems persist.

I see they aim to get "carbon neutrl methanol". I hope they can build up a supply chain of sufficient quantity. Those ships use a lot...

But if the methanol is made from fossil fuels, (some) problems persist.
They talk about this in the article. It can be made from biomass or sequestered CO2 and Maersk is also building the infrastructure to ensure a steady supply.

Yes, can be made.
What I worry about is that often the argument goes: we need to create demand (for sustainable xyz), and until the product is deliverable in sufficient quantities, we'll get going on (fossil-sourced) xyz.

And then they get hooked on the lower price of the fossil-derived variety, and can't justify paying a bit more for the sustainable variety.

And infrastructure to supply is not infrastructure to produce. Maersk does not have experience in that. If they are going to produce their own, then I'm even more worried. It's a specialized skillset...

Yes, can be made.
What I worry about is that often the argument goes: we need to create demand (for sustainable xyz), and until the product is deliverable in sufficient quantities, we'll get going on (fossil-sourced) xyz.

And then they get hooked on the lower price of the fossil-derived variety, and can't justify paying a bit more for the sustainable variety.

And infrastructure to supply is not infrastructure to produce. Maersk does not have experience in that. If they are going to produce their own, then I'm even more worried. It's a specialized skillset...
"In August, Maersk announced a partnership with REintegrate and European Energy for a new facility in Denmark that will produce approximately 10,000 tonnes of e-methanol annually for the feeder. The facility will use renewable energy provided by a solar farm in Kassø, Southern Denmark, and “biogenic CO2” to produce the fuel. Fuel production is expected to start in 2023 to coincide with the ship’s delivery."

It sounds like they are not going to be producers, they are partnering to support the infrastructure that will ensure a reliable supply. The Danes are pretty serious about carbon dioxide reduction. Watch the video too.

Last edited: