Should I buy a Morso 3610?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejgual

Dec 3, 2020
MA
I'm thankful for this forum and all that I've learned so far. We are looking to install a wood stove to heat our ~2200 sq ft home (at least the cathedral ceiling kitchen and family room which are open up to our bedrooms a half flight up). We have the opportunity to buy a new Morso 3610 (must have been an old floor unit). What would be a fair price for it? And what sets this more expensive stove apart from say a Pleasant Hearth stove from HomeDepot for $1000? Thanks so much!

Yes, it's a discontinued stove, but it was Morso's largest for the American market for years. It is a good heater, but undersized for what you have described unless the house is very well insulated and does not have a lot of glazing. Otherwise in MA you will want a 3 cu ft stove. There is a world and continent difference between the Morso and a cheap Pleasant Hearth stove. The Morso is a quality cast iron stove. The PH is a bargain steel stove. Take a look at the Drolet line of stoves as an alternative. The HT3000 or a Myriad (or Baltic) III are both large stoves.

Is there a ceiling fan in this area? It will be necessary to help distribute the hot air that is going to want to pocket near the ceiling peak.

Thanks for your input!. Yes, we have a ceiling fan. We are looking to place it in our exiting fireplace hearth, inset a bit into the firebox which is small. So we need rear vent and this is the largest one we can fit. We won't be using it for primary mode of heat, so it's ok if a bit undersized.

Very good. It is a well made stove. Morso castings are first rate. Be sure to put a full insulated liner in the chimney and a block-off plate at the damper area for best heating.