Should I buy hurricane Ties for my new shed so Sandy won't bite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
Not toe nailed. The 2x6 rafters are notched and sit on the top plate of the walls. That is pretty strong that way. So I was wondering if hurricane ties would add anymore strength?

See pic

Not sure what you mean here. Just sitting on top of the top plate? No nails? Notches are pretty typical, though I did not do that on my "shed." Toe nailed means they are nailed into place (with the nails at an angle).

I think I drove by the entrance to Don's shed the other day....
cheyenneMountain.jpg

Not sure what you mean here. Just sitting on top of the top plate? No nails? Notches are pretty typical, though I did not do that on my "shed." Toe nailed means they are nailed into place (with the nails at an angle).

Oh, I know what you mean. That is a good question. Thanks. I my friend did the rafters and now that is insulated it is hard to see. I will find out. I think they are toe nailed. That would really eliminate the need for the ties right?

This question is answered very easily.

1. Hurricane straps are a couple dollars a piece.
2. Roof ripping off...not a couple dollars a piece.

Reactions: StihlHead
Oh, I know what you mean. That is a good question. Thanks. I my friend did the rafters and now that is insulated it is hard to see. I will find out. I think they are toe nailed. That would really eliminate the need for the ties right?

Not really... as I said before when the county engineers here reviewed my plans for my remodel, they insisted that I use 'Simpson type' ties rather than toe-nailed wood joints for the rafters and beam joints. I retro-fitted all my rafters here with hurricane ties this summer. The previous toed-nails had held up for 30 years though. No hurricane winds have been recorded here after '62, long before this place was built. This area had lots of tornados recently though they missed this property.

This question is answered very easily.

1. Hurricane straps are a couple dollars a piece.
2. Roof ripping off...not a couple dollars a piece.

The hurricane ties he is asking about are a mere 35 cents each at Lowes here. These are the ones I used on my 'man shed':

Attachments

• hurricane tie2.jpg
    hurricane tie2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 542
The hurricane ties he is asking about are a mere 35 cents each at Lowes here. These are the ones I used on my 'man shed':

Thanks for your info StihHead and thanks for the pic, I appreciate it!

What goodies do you have in your "Man Shed" ? I always like getting good ideas!

I have a microwave for warming the coffee and I am thinking on small beer fridge.

With sirens blaring in the background and backup code police converging on the scene of the possible code crime:

Ok, you with the hurricane ties please pull over to the side of the shed and explain the empty nail holes.

No code violation here, I did get a permit for this shed and the inspector signed off on it.

I did spend the last 3 nice warm days paneling the interior of the shed. It may help keep it from racking in wind a little bit. Also looks nice inside!

Attachments

• shedpaneling.jpg
    shedpaneling.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 382
Reactions: ScotO
thinking on small beer fridge.

Thinking of a beer fridge? Thinking of a beer fridge????? A small one?????????? Hell, if I lived in my car, I'd still have a beer fridge!!

After hearth.com has read roughly 2,379 posts regarding this shed, I'm appalled to see that it doesn't even contain the bare essentials for man's survival <>

Fail Don, Epic Fail

images

So, since you are paneling, did you put ties on or not?

I have a microwave for warming the coffee and I am thinking on small beer fridge.

Don2222 I was pulling SthlHead over not you it is usually a code no-no to leave unfilled holes in things like hurricane ties and joist hangers, and it is also not a good thing to punch extra holes in them just in case you want to.

I also agree with pen, your shed lacks even the bare essentials for Bruins as well.

No way to keep the brews cold and paneling is so sixties.

Reactions: pen
I'm not quite sure exactly what to call it, but in my way of thinking, this "thing" ceased being a "shed" a long, long time ago. When will the "shed" be finished (if ever), so that whatever activity was intended to take place inside the "shed" may commence? At least one Enquiring mind wants to know. :rolleyes:

Don2222 I was pulling SthlHead over not you it is usually a code no-no to leave unfilled holes in things like hurricane ties and joist hangers, and it ialso not a good thing to punch extra holes in them just in case you want to.

I also agree with pen, your shed lacks even the bare essentials for Bruins as well.

No way to keep the brews cold and paneling is so sixties.

ok, Thanks Smokey

I was just about to respond, that Rome was not built in a day. I have to do some researching and thinking about where and how to install the beer fridge. Maybe I should start a new thread for that? Also Yes, I do agree that paneling was very popular in the 60's and early 70s. I remember friends and relatives fixing up their basements and installing paneling around here. The house I grew up in had a very un-usable basement so it could not be fixed up! So my current house has a good dry basement and actually too good for paneling. It already was sheet rocked. Therefore, the shed, since it is not tied to a foundation and sheet rock would crack, is just perfect for paneling! I went thru the paneling at Lowe's and after the top 4 sheets had tears from a fork lift, I found some good ones. My buddy said we have to cut some anyhow so ask for a deal on the 4 ripped ones! I got those 4 for $7.00 each !! Then got 5% off with the Lowe's credit card!

Also what Bruins items do you suggest? Actually, I am a big Red Sox fan. Now that I have paneling I can hang some stuff. What do you recommend Smoke?

It commenced a long time ago, the shed is the place Don works on stoves and doing it out there keeps the boss from giving him an ear full every time he doesn't get the venting sealed up and smokes up the house ==c .

I hope he is joking about putting Red Sox crap in the shed after this horrible season. NHL season is starting to circle the drain.

I'm not quite sure exactly what to call it, but in my way of thinking, this "thing" ceased being a "shed" a long, long time ago. When will the "shed" be finished (if ever), so that whatever activity was intended to take place inside the "shed" may commence? At least one Enquiring mind wants to know. :rolleyes:

Yes, Smokey is right. I am testing out the rebuilt stoves in there. It got cold in the shed last winter when the stove was down and I was working on it, so I added insulation in the walls and ceiling. However knocking around with ladders and tools can be hazardous on insulation so mainly just to protect it, I thru up the paneling.

I hope he is joking about putting Red Sox crap in the shed after this horrible season. NHL season is starting to circle the drain.

Well, I am not crazy about alot of that memorabilia stuff. I just need some shelving for storage. Hey, I could post pics of all the stoves I rebuilt. That may be better biz wise. :)

Reactions: fishingpol
With sirens blaring in the background and backup code police converging on the scene of the possible code crime:

Ok, you with the hurricane ties please pull over to the side of the shed and explain the empty nail holes.

Becasue on the west coast we don't get many hurricanes, and this was the last one of several where I ran out of #9 Simpson nails. I retrofitted the existing toe-nailed rafters with these ties to keep the (what you cannot see) cantilevered rafter ends on the other side of that wall in place while I walk up there. Its overkill, really. The lack of nails in this one is the reason that this one and several like it are not covered over (and I could take this photo of a fully exposed tie). Also this is a non-permit, non-inspected 'accessory building' so you will have to wait while I finish my beer (or 12), Mr. Code Inspector Sir.

Oh, and BTW, the couty code inspector lady was out here to look at this stuff, and I already got my final on all of this, incomplete as it is. She likes my orange cat, and well, if she was not the county code inspector whom I have had to bow to profusely, I would have asked her out on a date. ;)

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear

The man sheds are a set of 4 really. Technically they are all 'accessory buildings." All legally under 200 sq. ft. and under 12 feet high. The two attached to the house have half inch sheetrock along the common walls.

Man shed #1 is a tool room with 8 ft bench and 4 ft bench and Gorilla shelves along one wall. It is where keep my tools and chainsaws, as well as where I tune and wax my snow skis. Nothing special, but it has 2 x 4plex GFIC power outlets, a window, and an overhead dual florescent light. No need for a frige, as the kitchen is 3 feet away. It has tiled floors and foam puzzle pieced together foot pads.

Man shed #2 is the hot tub room. It has a 5x6 ft hot tub in there, with French doors, tile floor, and a 4x6 foot X-O sliding window. It has a TV, Stereo, a towel shelf, chairs and clothes hangers. The hot tub is getting fixed, so it is not set up yet. Between Man shed #1 and #2 is a covered open patio area with a pellet grill smoker. Ahem... good eats comes off of that thing.

Man shed #3 is in the making. It is split by a wall, and one side is open for storing lumber, with racks and hangers. It also doubles as a hanging room for deer/elk. That is where the exposed hurricane tie photo was taken. The other side of man shed #3 has a metal door, a 6x1 window and has just been sheetrocked and textured. I do not know why I textured it, but I did. I have a lot of mud so what the heck. I like doing that stuff. It will be the bigger store room for my kayak gear, auto parts, electrical, plumbing, construction stuff, etc. It will have a table on one wall for setting boxes on, and 2 foot deep shelves along the other 2 walls.

Man shed #4 is the big one, just under 200 sq ft with a roll up garage door and a separate 3 ft metal door to the side of that. It is separated from Man Shed #3 with a 2 hour firewall (a 2x4 stud wall with 2 x 5/8" layers of sheetrock stacked and taped on either side). That has a 3x2 window, a long workbench on one wall, and shelves in the back. It is large enough to park a small Fiat 500 or several motorcycles, or a small tractor. It is what remains of the original garage that was attached to the house and not built under permit, and I was required to remove by the county. So rather than demo it, I converted it into legal accessory buildings. It has exterior and interior lighting, and shop stuff, airless paint sprayer, compressor, saw horses for building projects in the works, and the like.

Anyone that does not want their shameful Red Sox stuff please send it my way. I will pay postage!

I have been rooting for ex-Sox players Crawford and Scutaro on the Giants.

The BoSox and the Giants have won between them what, 4 of the last 9 World Series? ...not bad.

When I built my shed, I built my trusses based on a print my local hardware store made for me (they build trusses... just were very expensive). Anyhow, I was told per code I needed hurricane ties, one on each end of the truss due to the high winds we get. I'm not sure what sort of wind speed buildings are engineered for, but 50-70mph gusts are quite normal.

When I sheated the outside I made sure I had the sheets "connecting" the walls to the roof end trusses, so in theory it'd have to rip all that off before the roof could go anywhere, but for the $40 extra in ties/nails I decided not to chance it.

Hello

Well the Frankenstorm is over now and the shed made it thru the 50 MPH winds just fine. Still we had a good posting and great info. If I did it again though I would have used the hurricane ties to play it safe. Thanks all. Good stuff here!

Becasue on the west coast we don't get many hurricanes, and this was the last one of several where I ran out of #9 Simpson nails. I retrofitted the existing toe-nailed rafters with these ties to keep the (what you cannot see) cantilevered rafter ends on the other side of that wall in place while I walk up there. Its overkill, really. The lack of nails in this one is the reason that this one and several like it are not covered over (and I could take this photo of a fully exposed tie). Also this is a non-permit, non-inspected 'accessory building' so you will have to wait while I finish my beer (or 12), Mr. Code Inspector Sir.

Oh, and BTW, the couty code inspector lady was out here to look at this stuff, and I already got my final on all of this, incomplete as it is. She likes my orange cat, and well, if she was not the county code inspector whom I have had to bow to profusely, I would have asked her out on a date. ;)

I don't know about you attempted fraternizing with the code police, there must be a law about that somewhere ;) .

I do hope you understand that we just have to keep people on their toes about code, don't want anyone hurt by something like missing nails etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.