Should I replace my wood stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MWB

Dec 18, 2021
Ontario
I'd appreciate recommendations from the experts on whether i should replace my Napoleon 1402 wood stove insert? Mine is in good condition, i burn about 5 bush cord a season. Located in Ontario. Would the efficiency increase make it worthwhile to replace my unit?
If so, what would you recommend?

Seems like most folks here report 1/3 to 1/2 less wood used with new high efficient stoves. I'm loading every 12 hrs. now with a Blaze King vs 4-5 loads/day with my old stove. I'm in Nor Cal. 5 cords in Ontario doesn't seem like a lot IMO.

I can't find the efficiency of this insert. But it for sure is good for air quality to change. Whether you will see an improvement in wood consumption remains to be seen. If you had a 45 year old smoke dragons, wood savings could be a few tens of percents. But I don't think this one is that inefficient?

I wouldnt replace it if its in good condition, do you have an insulated block off plate? That could be a game changer for you if you dont.