Should I replace this baffle brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth22

Nov 21, 2009
Southern Maine
This is from my Regency I2100 I purchased used for $250. As baffle kits (2 fire bricks) are about $50, I'd like to avoid replacing the baffle bricks. Pictured is the "worse of the two". They each have a lip where they fit together, this one is 80% gone (along with some of the corner). Think I need to replace it? Can I get 1 year out of it?

bafflebrick.jpg

how big are we talking here? I worked on a EarthStove before that used special firebrick for the baffle that were ridiculously expensive on the net. To replace, I just bought a friction masonry blade for a circular saw and custom cut standard fire brick.

Just something to consider if they are close in size. I can't really tell from this picture.

good luck.

pen

pen,

Yeah, they are bigger than standard fire brick. I talked to my local Regency distributor and he said the fire brick on those baffles is a special vermiculite fire bricks. These one have a fiber or metal thread reinforcement. You can see it on the lip that is falling apart.

Ya got a two grand stove for a couple of hundred bucks. Buy the baffle bricks from the dealer. Sheesh.

Really! Let some moths out of that wallet and fix it right while supporting your local business.

But I had to buy a new gasket, paint, and a thermometer for $80!

I guess I knew the answer, I was just hoping everyone would say "looks good enough".

The other cool thing is, the dealer said the baffle brick "comes from" a local company. I'm assuming/hoping the local company makes them, as opposed to just distributing them.

Seth - I understand where you are coming from...I don't like parting with money when I can get away for another year. But it is better to do it now before the season. Imagine calling mid winter when they break and finding out the local guy only distributes and the supplier is on back order. Any delay once they break means no stove.

With the way Mr Murphy plays with me, they would break during a snow storm when the electric heat goes out...

Peace of mind...worth the $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.