Shroom huntin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grizzerbear

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2019
SW Missoura
I was drivin down the road yesterday and found this baby. It's a chicken of the woods. They are great eating.....taste just like chicken hence the name. I'll be eating on this for a few nights.
20200412_095253.jpg
I found these red morels.....also known as false morels to some.... a week ago. They are one of my favorites. Not as good as the white morels but pretty tasty. These red morels are known to make some folks sick so eat at your own discretion. I have ate them my entire life and never got sick from them.
20200408_133509.jpg 20200314_152450.jpg
Show me your mushroom finds this year.

I haven't seen a chicken of the woods like that. Locally what I have seen is flatter, orange with a yellow edge. Is this at an early stage?

I haven't seen a chicken of the woods like that. Locally what I have seen is flatter, orange with a yellow edge. Is this at an early stage?
Yea. As they grow and begin to mature the different "limbs" flatten out. This one had just popped up within the last couple days. I thought it looked odd too at first so I asked a buddy that does spore prints and knows a lot about mushrooms....he said i was good to go....eat it lol.There are actually two different chicken of the woods. This is a sulfur shelf but there is also a white chicken of the woods. This pic kinda shows what a the mushroom does. Kinda makes me wish I would have waited a few more days.

Attachments

• chicken-growth10-1.jpg
    chicken-growth10-1.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 156
These pictures are not from this year, but I get these every season later in the spring. They are called Slippery Jacks, or Suillus lateus in the Boletus family. They have pores instead of gills, and they have a very slimy layer on top that catches all the leaves and trash that are on the surface when they emerge. You can not wash them, you have to peel them. You have to get them the day they emerge, or worms will eat their way up the stems and consume them..They seem to taste better dried.

100_2013.JPG100_2025.JPG100_2027.JPG

Don't chanterelles have gills as well as oyster mushrooms?

Don't chanterelles have gills as well as oyster mushrooms?
Yes.....but most edibles have pores....like a lot of boletes that Montanalocal mentioned. Pheasants backs, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, morels and boletes to name a few.

They haven't started coming out here yet. I did find several reishi mushrooms around my house in the woods last fall.

I've never heard of reishi mushrooms but I googled a pic and I know I have seen them before. Are they edible?
Kind of, they are more medicinal. Most people dry them and grind them up. You can double decoct them by soaking the mushrooms in alcohol for six months (100 proof vodka) and then in water for six months. Each method extracts different compounds.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
There are a lot of medicinal mushrooms out there. The company Host Defense has a large selection. I use the “My Community” mixture any time I start to feel unwell, and it really helps.

There are a lot of medicinal mushrooms out there. The company Host Defense has a large selection. I use the “My Community” mixture any time I start to feel unwell, and it really helps.

I have several reishi fruiting bodies drying out. I'm hoping to grind them up and decoct the powder. I'm actually terrified, but still curious.