Shutdown Before Vacation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UglyTunaSaloona

Dec 30, 2008
NW NJ
We are going on a 10 day vacation shortly. I was wondering how I should shut the stove (Harman Advance-2) down before we leave. Should I let the pellets run out and then clean do a complete clean or should I just shut it down (leaving the pellets in the hopper), scrape the burn pot, empty the ash pan, and clean the glass?

We leave the baseboard heat at 50 and have a neighbor check the house periodically. I would like to insure that we can crank the stove up without problems when we return.

I would run the hopper out of pellets just so there is no chance of humidy moisture affecting them. Probably not really neccessary though. As for the other cleaning you mention, I would think that you should be ok in your present condition to leave it that way for only 10 days. My preference would be to clean the glass, burn pot, and general firebox cleaning so it looks nice and is ready to go when I got back.

Enjoy your vacation!!!

When I went on vacation in January, I let the stove run out of pellets as I was sleeping the night before we left. Stove was off when I woke up... I pulled the plug (just in case) and went on my merry way.

When I returned, I did a full cleaning before I started it back up. I guess it's up to you if you'd rather clean before or after your vacation.

I wouldn't worry about the pellets in the hopper....the winter air is too dry to affect them. I'd do a normal weekly cleaning, unplug the stove, and have a nice vacation (hopefully somewhere VERY warm! LOL).

When you come back, just plug it in, and that's it.....have a great time!

CZARCAR said:
i'd plug the intake & exhaust pipes ,outside, so the cold outside air didnt circulate thru the stove & act like a cold sink for the house

Good point.....it might also discourage some little "friends" from thinking of hibernating in there.

You can't go on vacation. The economy is coming to and end. No body has money to spend.

(or at least many would have you think so)

I'd do a "weekly" cleaning and unplug it. Leave pellets in it. When you return simply plug it in and flip it on. I know I wouldn't want spend the time after getting home messing with a messy stove.

Enjoy your vacation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.