Sierra Hearthstove Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Green

Aug 5, 2013
CA
Hello,

I am new to the forum and this forum has so much useful information. Thank you to everyone for your contributions. I have a question,

My father just got a Sierra Hearthstove Classic wood stove off CL for free. He wants to install it in his current fireplace (see pictures below). What would be the best recommendation for him to do this? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMAG0264.jpg
    IMAG0264.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 396
  • IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 386
Besides not having sufficient non combustible hearth in front of the stove, that 36" side clearance to combustibles on the label means just that. And there is no way to get it 36" away from all of that wood work.

ya, looks like the side clearances alone would be impossible

What would be the best recommendation for him to do this? Thank you.

My best recommendation would be to take pause. Unless you are willing to take on a hearth project, that stove ain't gonna work. There is no way to get proper clearance to combustibles in its current form. It would be a dangerous install to say the least.

Would you then recommend expanding the hearth and placing the stove further from the fireplace?

Mmmmm...probably not going to work that well unless you move it way out, then it will look a bit wonky. If you want to demonstrate what I am talking about, take a tape measure and hold it to anything wood - that includes the uprights to either side of the fireplace. Measure out 36" to where the BACK corner of the stove would need to be. Now measure out 16" in FRONT of where the stove would be placed. THEN figure out how the pipe would be run back to the fireplace.....gonna be wonky.

A fireplace insert with a full liner is probably the best bet for this situation. Your FP is pretty low slung and your hearth in front of the opening is none too deep to be dealing with a stand alone stove.

This, again, assumes that a hearth rebuild is not on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.