Since the Jotul F55 doesnt have an ashpan,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cboehm

Mar 20, 2024
North Dakota
Since the Jotul F55 doesn't have an ashpan, could you say once a week would be removing ashes? In my old stove if you shoveled it out, ashes went every where, wouldn't this be the same. Or is there a trick to not get ashes flying every where?? Love the stove otherwise. ??????

Depends on the wood species you're burning.

Shoveling out ashes is what I think most of the folks here do. I do it.
The trick is to do so when the stove is still warm, so that the draft sucks in the flying ashes.
And to be gentle letting the ashes slide off the shovel into the bucket. A hotter stove has more draft, and can even suck in ashes that float in front of the stove.

I use one of these. Just shovel the coals to one side, set the pan inside and shovel the ashes into the pan then take it outside and dump the ash into a metal container. This keeps all the fly ash in the stove.