Sliding glass fireplace doors.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aqk

Oct 25, 2021
Elgin, QC, Canada
aqk.ca
Is there such a thing?
After looking at all sorts of fireplace doors and screens/curtains, I wondered if I could install a pair of sliding glass doors to the fireplace opening.
And what would be the cost? Depending on whetehr it's either ceramic glass or the less-expensive stuff.
I suppose I could get a friend to supply a steel runner on the bottom, and a grooved holder on top.
Then I could slide one 24" door left and the other one right. I have room enough (18"-20") on either side of the fireplace.
I could always block off 8" or so from either side of the fireplace- at 48" it's kinda big anyhow...
Any ideas or thoughts?

fireplace-pix-1.jpg aqk-fireplace-1.jpg

Are you wanting to burn with the doors closed?

Doors closed? Definitely not! It creates too much creosote in chimney!
But I have do room on left side for air input anyhow. (see picture).
I'm gonna see if I can put air input/output holes there for a combined fire-grate/heat-exchanger using hi-temp steel boiler pipes....

Doors closed? Definitely not! It creates too much creosote in chimney!
But I have do room on left side for air input anyhow. (see picture).
I'm gonna see if I can put air input/output holes there for a combined fire-grate/heat-exchanger using hi-temp steel boiler pipes....
You can absolutely have doors made but it's going to be expensive. Don't bother with the heat exchanger grate thing they are worthless. No matter what you do a fireplace will never be an effective heater.