small cheap storage bins for you country folk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
I don't get to the boiler room forum often but I had a thought for ya's.
When we had a lot of stock to feed on the farm we used bins from old combines for storage bins.
They held about 25 bushels and, well, they were built like bins. Them old combines also had augers that could be used for any number of things.
Hope this helps someone.
-ken
PS- the combine in the picture has an auger in the hidden back corner which fed grain up to the cylindrical thing on top of the bin. This cylinder was a cleaner and did a good job. This particular bin, auger, and cleaner, could be removed as one unit, have some legs added to the bin, and it would both clean and store your corn, pellets or rabbit poo.

Attachments

• AC 66.jpg
    AC 66.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 359
With the price of scrap down now you might be able to pick up stuff but last summer that would have brought $500. I bought an old corn chopper a couple years ago and used it for a wood chipper. I stripped it down taking off the head and all other stuff and chipped brush up to 3in. worked really great but you had to understand and be SAFE. need to wear ear plugs also. It was big and hard to get back in the woods but free works. There is alot of old stuff out there just being scraped out that you can make stuff. Here in Michigan with all the factorys being scrapped it would make you cry to see what is going to the scrap yards. I bought a 6in augar (new food grade stainless) 12ft on a stand for scrap. I don't dare go visit my neighbor cause I'll come home with my truck full. I've already got my barn, shed, and two semi,s full of projects. Out in my back field I've got 30 propane tanks, two stainless tanks, two 460gal aluminum tanks plus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.