Smoke - can u help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Occo370

Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2010
Jersey Shore
Hopefully someone has an answer. I have an earthstove 1003 c. Recently I have noticed when I close the flu there are 1" sqares that leak smoke on the left and right sides. This only happens when the flu Iis closed. Any suggestions???

Open the flue, smoke is coming out. You must have wet wood.

Um, don't know about those stoves, but that sounds bad. Are the holes supposed to be air inlets? Do they connect to a convection shell? I'd guess you have either a plugged up flue or a failure of firebox integrity. Either would suggests not burning until you've id'ed and solved the problem!

When you say close the flue, do you mean you are closing an air inlet on the stove, or some sort of damper above the stove in the vent pipe?

This only happens when the flu Iis closed

Hi and welcome

Whenever you have a fire going the flu must be open so the smoke can rise.

Sounds like you have a flu damper. If you have a flue damper it shouldn't be shut more than 45° when a fire is going.

If you've been closing it all this time it's possible the chimney could be plugged ...like was mentioned above. Let it go cold today and mirror it just to be sure.

Thank u for all the responses this is a catalyst stove. Those sqares I found in the manual are secondary air intakes. But I still can't find an answer on y smoke would exit them. Thanks for your posts

Have you checked the catalyst to see if it's plugged?

Occo370 said:
Thank u for all the responses this is a catalyst stove. Those sqares I found in the manual are secondary air intakes. But I still can't find an answer on y smoke would exit them. Thanks for your posts

The scientific but not particularly helpful answer is that smoke is exiting the holes because they offer an easier way out of the stove than the flue. The flue should be the preferred route out of the stove because it should be drawing air. This should suck the smoke up the flue, and thereby suck air in through the holes. If the flue isn't drawing air, such as when you close the damper all the way, smoke finds a different way out of the stove.

I don't think it is receommended practice to use a damper on the flue with a modern stove, particularly a cat stove. Maybe others who know more will comment.

I just found something online stating that softer dryer woods will cause backpuffing. Is anyone using a catalic esrthstove and what kind of wood are u burning. Now that I think back. This started happenning when I ran out of oak. And switched to maple. Any ideas.

Wood type doesn't matter as long as it is dry it will burn fine. Check your cat for fly ash build up and your chimney cap for clogging, they will reduce your draft if plugged up.

Status
Not open for further replies.