Smoke comes out of the Stove Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Greg1881

Mar 24, 2019
Montana
I have a Quadrafire 3100ACC with a 6" stove pipe going straight up 16 feet exiting the roof. Pipe is clean with no blockage. Some days when I open the stove door I can feel the cold air coming down the pipe, other days I don't. When I start the fire with kindling I get a nice 12" flame going straight up after 5 minutes, if I try to add a piece of wood I start to get smoke coming out around the door seal and air control. If I crack open a window the smoke stops coming out the door. I've had this stove for five years and never had a problem like this. I did add 18" of insulation in the attic this last fall since it only had three inches.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thankyou

You no longer have enough air leaking into the home to supply combustion air to the stove