Smoke from end cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marc S.

Nov 8, 2019
Cincinnati Ohio
Cleaned my stove this weekend and when it fired up I noticed smoke, not a lot but usually there is none, coming out of the end cap. The stove was running fine. The flame was a little loopy when initially starting but when the blower fan kicks on it's normal. What could cause the smoke? Im thinking it may be the pellets.

My P61 & my P43 BOTH blow smoke at fire up.
The smoke builds up in the firebox until the pellets
fully ignite. Smoke blows out & it doesn't smoke again
until the next fire up.

Reactions: Highbeam
The smoke builds up in the firebox until the pellets
fully ignite. Smoke blows out & it doesn't smoke again
until the next fire up.
X2

Cleaned my stove this weekend and when it fired up I noticed smoke, not a lot but usually there is none, coming out of the end cap. The stove was running fine. The flame was a little loopy when initially starting but when the blower fan kicks on it's normal. What could cause the smoke? Im thinking it may be the pellets.

What do you mean end cap? End cap of the cleanout on the bottom of the Tee?

My stove makes a bunch of smoke when starting up, but after replacing all my pipe, I don't have any smoke leaking anymore. See thread "smoke leaks, tech support, and fixes" for the whole story.

Yeah, it always blows out at start up but it is periodically blowing smoke all of the time but is running nice. I was just curious if that could be an air leak in one of the doors or just bad pellets.

What do you mean end cap? End cap of the cleanout on the bottom of the Tee?

My stove makes a bunch of smoke when starting up, but after replacing all my pipe, I don't have any smoke leaking anymore. See thread "smoke leaks, tech support, and fixes" for the whole story.
No the exhaust end cap out of the house.

No the exhaust end cap out of the house.

So no smoke inside the house? I have a bunch of smoke outside when things are starting up, especially when it's warm-ish outside.
I haven't noticed smoke when it's up and running though.

If you have bad pellets, they will take longer to light, and you would have more ash, your stove would be dirtier quicker, etc.

Since it's so simple to do you should try the dollar bill test on your door when the stove is cold. There are a lot of other components that I don't have a good grasp of yet, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Reactions: Marc S.
Where's there smoke there's fire. Make sure the cap is not cross threaded and tight. Still smokes, use some metallic tape or stretch silicone tape.

Reactions: Marc S.