Smoke Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redbill

Jan 15, 2015
Massachusetts
ok, maybe a silly question. But what makes the smoke from the pellet stove exhaust pipe visible?

I've always seen a fair amount of visible smoke coming from my exhaust, must less than a wood-stove or fireplace, but still easily visible.

This year, I can see the exhaust in forms of vapor/heat, but very little actual smoke.

I'm burning different pellets, but 2 different kinds, and neither create what I'm calling smoke.

My fire is burning fine, just like previous years, what could cause the change?

Less moisture in the pellets? Soot/ash in the exhaust, did I clean it better this year? Temperature difference - are these pellets not burning as hot?

Smoke is waste from the pellets but when the stove is up to temp and clean you shouldn't see smoke. But if the stove is dirty or adjusted wrong or using a poor grade of pellets you can see smoke.

This ^^^^

Like a wood stove, if the pellet stove is burning correctly after startup you should not see any smoke.

ok, maybe a silly question. But what makes the smoke from the pellet stove exhaust pipe visible?

I've always seen a fair amount of visible smoke coming from my exhaust, must less than a wood-stove or fireplace, but still easily visible.

This year, I can see the exhaust in forms of vapor/heat, but very little actual smoke.

I'm burning different pellets, but 2 different kinds, and neither create what I'm calling smoke.

My fire is burning fine, just like previous years, what could cause the change?

Less moisture in the pellets? Soot/ash in the exhaust, did I clean it better this year? Temperature difference - are these pellets not burning as hot?

That pretty much says it all IMO. If the stove is left with the same settings, and you just changed the pellets, then either the stove was set better for these pellets, or these pellets are better made than the old ones. IMO.

That would have been my first thought too, but on paper, last year's pellets are better. I burned Greene Team last year, and Maine's Choice and New England Wood Pellets this year, which get considerably worse reviews than GT.

It could have been the cleaning I gave it this year, I suppose.

That would have been my first thought too, but on paper, last year's pellets are better. I burned Greene Team last year, and Maine's Choice and New England Wood Pellets this year, which get considerably worse reviews than GT.

It could have been the cleaning I gave it this year, I suppose.
one of the most important things is to clean the stove regularly and you will eliminate many problems. I have found myself guilty more then once and noticed the stove was burning a little rich with lazy flame etc. A good cleaning before needed will prevent the headache of cleaning at a inconvenient time, or worse calling the dealer and finding out your stove was plugged. Different stoves require different time schedule but if you know your stove you should be able to say OK I am good for another 2 1/2 weeks and mark it on a calendar

I has put my cleaning off from beginning of last week and came home today to a cold house and an E2 fail to light error. A through cleaning and I am back in business. Lesson learned.