Smoked whitfield control board!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rickenbackerman

Dec 13, 2017
Laurel MD
Hey all,
Had a MASSIVE power surge last weekend that smoked the control board on my stove - it's one of the older advantage series stove with the knobs, not the touch pad. The lineman I talked to said we all took closer to 200VAC rather than 120. No wonder! I noticed the fuse on the board was blown so I replaced it with the same type and rating (6A fast acting). New fuse popped immediately. Pulled the board out and saw that the varistor on the input is SMOKED. At first I thought it was a thermistor and after some reading on here I know what it is and what it's for. Tested it with my meter last night and it's pretty much dead shorted.

The stove was on a cheap "surge suppressor" power strip and that thing's going in the trash - I ordered a tripp lite isobar for the stove once I get it back up and running. Will also be installing an Eaton whole house suppressor in the main panel for any future spikes.

I've got a new/used board on the way which should be here tomorrow, but I'd like to get the old one up and going to have a backup as well. Would it be unwise to remove the varistor from the board and try it out to see if it still works?

I did try email Dave at pcbboardrepair and was met with a flurry of insults and expletives - not sure why anybody in their right mind would want to deal with that guy!

Thanks all.

you could cut the varistor out and do some testing to see if any other components were affected. but i wouldn't run it long without a surge protector, get another spike and it will cook the board.

Reactions: heat seeker
Right on ssyko, I pulled the varistor and the thing works perfectly again. I have it running off a monster surge strip for now but I ordered a Tripp lite isobar for it and have an Eaton whole house suppressor that goes in the main panel on order too. Fried stuff sucks!

Can you still read the markings on the burned varister? Mouser.com and digikey.com are 2 places that you can get a new one.

If you're planning to sell your stove in the future, then maybe in respect to the future owner you should put a sticker next to the mains plug with this text: "This stove must be run only with a high quality external surge protection"

Reactions: Rickenbackerman
Following Stovensen's recommendations in the forum, I bought a TrippLite Isobar also. It's a great product. I had been running on a generic model forever.