Smoking bypass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HillcountrySue

Dec 23, 2017
Richland Springs, TX
The smoke from my cape cod is coming out of the bypass. It stops if I pull the bypass all the way out, but that is not efficient. I seem to have some black substance on the bypass rod. We burned one of those cleaner logs, but my house is smokey. What can I do?

This could be a number of things, but the first thing to do is check the chimney and cap for plugging. If there is a lot of creosote buildup at the top of the flue then it's time for a cleaning. If it's pretty clear then check the stove. First thing to do is inspect the catalyst. If the face is clogged with fly ash it needs to be gently cleaned. If it has badly degraded then it may need replacement. Either issue will block smoke from passing through it.

Is this a freestanding stove or fireplace insert?

I agree with Begreen...Check your combuster first and see if it looks plugged up..if it is you can clean it with a soft brush inside the stove or you can pull it out out if it is really gunked up.If you have to remove it be careful of the gasket that goes around the outside of the combuster..very easy to break.Another problem could be engaging damper too soon but really shouldn't make it smoke out of damper.Have a Merry Christmas!! :)