Smoking Gloking P 100F

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwoot

Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2009
East Coast
Hello..

So I bought a pellet stove for my house this fall {Englander 25 pdv :) } and it works so well I decided to get one for my workshop. Seeing that I would not be able to get two pellet stove past committee {read wife :) } in one year, I bought a used GloKing P100F stove off of craigslist. In hindsight I should have done more research on this stove.....kind of kicked myself when I found they were no longer in business.

In any case :) ... I hooked the stove up in my shop and gave the stove a good cleaning. More specifically...

1. Installed a simpson duravent vent kit. {one t and then 90 degree at cap}
2. Replaced all seals, pull motors cleaned everything that I could get to and then reassembled according to the manual.
3. Using high grade wood pellets {standard variety sold at lowes/home depot}

Ok... now I was all excited because I had a free saturday in the shop and I was ready to start that puppy up.
I started by
1. Filling the fire pot slight better than 3/4 of the way full of pellets and a liberal amount of pellet gel. I then started the fire and closed the door.
2. Fire is burning... I then turn the unit on and hit fire ready button. At this point the manual indicated that the stove should come up to temp and then start feeding pellets.
3. The unit does start to feed pellets after about 10-15 minutes and soon starts smoking. My neighbors are loving me at the moment *sigh* Watching the fire...it is almost like it is running out of oxigen. I checked the fresh air pike for blockages and it is clear...I even took this off and tried to burn the fire without the fresh air vent {doors to shop were wide open for this test :) }
4. The exhaust appears to be working fine because lots of smoke is coming out of the vent pipe..

Any thoughts to what the problem might be? Any insights would be appreciated :)

Did you test the combustion motor?

Well no response yet so I'll add a few things.

Did you make certain the air intake path is clean and that your exhaust system is sealed (looking for any possible combustion chamber air bypasses).

Is the wiring completely tight at all joints (looking for anything that might be intermitant or loose in the power to the fans).

Do you have a multimeter?

If so, you should check the voltages going to the fans.

Are you certain that you completely cleaned the exhaust path of soot (this includes the heat exchanger)?

The combustion motor is running and varies speed when I change the heat settings.
If I pull the cover for the cleanout port while it is running there is suction throught the
port. Is there a better way or more thourough way to test this? All ears. :). If I don't find a solution it
will be a cold winter in the shop. :)

Repost I was updating when you posted.

Did you make certain the air intake path is clean and that your exhaust system is sealed (looking for any possible combustion chamber air bypasses).

Is the wiring completely tight at all joints (looking for anything that might be intermitant or loose in the power to the fans).

Do you have a multimeter?

If so, you should check the voltages going to the fans.

Are you certain that you completely cleaned the exhaust path of soot (this includes the heat exchanger)?

You will also need to time the auger on the stove.

I still haven't been able to locate a manual.

I am with the last guy ,time the auger ,maybe its pushing so many pellets it is smothering the fire .But it still sounds like not enough air ,I wonder if that stove has some kind of intake air damper that is closed ?I wish you good luck with it . I have a pellet stove in my garage and I love it . It might be like the one in your house I am not sure .

Excell said:
I am with the last guy ,time the auger ,maybe its pushing so many pellets it is smothering the fire .But it still sounds like not enough air ,I wonder if that stove has some kind of intake air damper that is closed ?I wish you good luck with it . I have a pellet stove in my garage and I love it . It might be like the one in your house I am not sure .

That is why, I'm looking for a manual and am having zero luck.

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a response so quickly :) This is great!

Ok.. here is where I am at now.

1. When I cleaned the stove I got to all areas that I could physically take apart and cleaned with a vacuum and replaced any seals accordingly.
2. I have not checked the voltages on any of the fans yet...because honestly I wasn't sure what to check for. I do have a multimeter but would need a bit of direction to check {not much I am somewhat familiar with it :) }
3. How would I go about timing the feed speed on this?

All in all...I agree that it is a problem with air flow somewhere... the fire acts like it is starving for oxygen. The combustion motor is clear...but I am wondering if there is a small leak somewhere that I am missing. The only other thing that I can think maybe a mouse got into the air intake somwhere where I can't see and built a nest or something. I will most likely run a pipe snake up through tomorrow to see if I find anything. Aside from that, I have scanned my manual and will upload. If it doesn't help with my problem... maybe it can at least help someone else with theirs :) {the scan isn't great...but it has been a long day :) }

If anyone has any suggestions / insights...they would be greatly appreciated :)

Manual for GloKing Stove
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...zAtZjMxOS00ODcxLWEwYjAtNGIzODYxODg3Y2Y4&hl=en

The manual mentions adjusting the "flame adjustment" control....this sounds to me like the control for combustion blower speed....did you try adjusting that?

You might also try cleaning the stove using the "leaf blower method" that is mentioned in this forum often.

Timing the auger is easy. Measure how many seconds it runs, and also how many seconds it doesn't. (example: auger turns for 2 seconds, stops for 10 seconds")

Ok, I have looked over the manual in the link above.

There are two adjustments that affect the combustion process, and there are two baffles that need to be clean and in their proper position.

For the baffles please see pages I1 and I2.

There is an altitude adjustment on the stove that is likely to act somewhat as a damper it even has an orange dot to represent sea level.

For altitude adjustment reference page E5 the adjustment control is at the top right of the control panel.

Once you have that adjustment somewhat close say you are pretty close to sea level, you can use the fine flame control on the control panel to vary the amount of combustion air that flows through the burn pot.

This brings up the caveat in the manual that you should keep the burn pot cleaned especially the small air holes.

A few things I will have to check on..

-Leaf blower method... I have not heard of that. I will search for this tomorrow.
-I will double check the altitude setting. I am in PA so I am not at the high of an elevation either way.
-The fire control nobs really didn't seem to make a difference in this case. I tried a large number of variations..only accomplished smoke at variable rates :) But I could easily be missing something here.
- I will also check the auger speed and see what I can do with it
-I am pretty sure the baffles are in correctly but I will double check.

-Everything is as clean as I get get it without the assist of bead blasting :)

I'll give these suggestions a try and see how things go. Thanks again.

Just because you aren't high in elevation, maybe the stove was set for altitude different than you are at. This is a set once at install time deal.

There is also a fuel feed trim on low heat.

But the fine flame control is basically an adjustment to match your line voltage to the stove to have the combustion blower run at the proper speed.

Ok success!

I do have to hang my head a bit and admit that there were two clogs vent pipes running up the back of the burn pot. I am not sure how I missed them but I pulled everything apart, got them out and sure enough...they were almost completely clogged. I cleaned them out, reassembled everything and it took right off :) Things were still a bit smoky so I adjusted the feed rate and altitude setting {per forum recommendations} a bit and it is running like a top now.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this... I get to have a warm workshop this winter and my wife has to stop making smoke house jokes {well I can hope :) }

Hey great to hear.

These puppies need a real good cleaning on a regular basis or they don't work as well as they should.

jwoot said:
......I do have to hang my head a bit and admit that there were two clogs vent pipes running up the back of the burn pot.......

Don't feel bad, jwoot. There have been MANY forum members who have claimed that "I cleaned my stove COMPLETELY.....there isn't a speck of ash anywhere!...I don't understand why my stove won't work right".....only to find out later that their idea of clean, and others ideas were quite different.

It sometimes is just a product of not being familiar with all the "hidden" spots that ash can collect, just as you found out.

IMO, just to be sure, do the leaf blower cleaning too.....pellet stoves can NEVER be too clean!

Glad the stove is running well now...enjoy the heat!

BTW, don't forget to post some pics!!

All... Thanks again for all of the help :)

I am sitting my shop now ... it is a rainy day @ 40 degrees outside and it is nice and warm in here. In any case I have attached a few pics of my stove and things that I cleaned. Maybe this can help someone else from a smokey mess :)

1. I pulled and cleaned the combustion motor{left side}, convection blower {right side},
2. Opened the cleanout cover and cleaned everything out with a vacuum.
3. Cleaned out burn pit/ pulled baffles and cleaned everything
4. Replaced all seals on windows and doors / below burn pit / and on fresh air intake

Still had smoke issues - fire would die...neighborhood could smoke their meat outside of my shop. Fun fun

1. Checked inside the stove more closely and found the exhaust manifolds, removed side windows and then removed and cleaned the manifolds. The fire burned *much* better at this point {imagine that...you need oxygen for fire :) } but it was still somewhat smokey. Not bad but could be improved.

2. Adjusted the feed rate of the pellets {on the circuit board} and adjusted the altitude setting to about halfway. There should be a marking for sea level but I was unable to find it. I simply set it to about 50% and that seemed to work pretty well. At this point everything is working great.

Attachments

• DSCN1343.jpg
    DSCN1343.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 694
  • DSCN1335.jpg
    DSCN1335.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 744
  • DSCN1336.jpg
    DSCN1336.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 642
The New Englander 25-pdv is in my house...and the GloKing P 100F is in my shop. Loving life on cold days now :)

The funny thing is...my wife wasn't convinced about the stove in the house when I was installing it. Especially when I was cutting a nice size whole in the house for the venting...but she and my daughters park themselves in front of it when they come in the house now :)

Attachments

• DSCN1339.jpg
    DSCN1339.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 506
  • DSCN1331.jpg
    DSCN1331.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 539
jwoot said:
......In any case I have attached a few pics of my stove and things that I cleaned. ........

Just a quick question....can that "decorative log" be removed? They look nice in the summer when the stove isn't being used, but are a PIA when it comes time to clean the stove.....most people end-up taking them out in the burning season.

jwoot said:
Ok success!

I do have to hang my head a bit and admit that there were two clogs vent pipes running up the back of the burn pot. I am not sure how I missed them but I pulled everything apart, got them out and sure enough...they were almost completely clogged. I cleaned them out, reassembled everything and it took right off :) Things were still a bit smoky so I adjusted the feed rate and altitude setting {per forum recommendations} a bit and it is running like a top now.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this... I get to have a warm workshop this winter and my wife has to stop making smoke house jokes {well I can hope :) }

You are really going to enjoy that stove .I just finished removing the wood stove from mine and installing a pellet stove .I have had it running about two weeks now .The
nice thing about it is that you can control the heat before I was either roasting or freezing ,it drove me crazy .I do miss throwing my garbage in there as it came a long .
There were a couple of extra cans at the curb on garbage day .

Macman... To be honest it came with the stove so I never really thought to remove it aside for cleaning reasons. Before the first burn, I cleaned it with an air hose and stiff bristled brush. For standard cleaning...I just use my shopvac when I am cleaning the firebox. It hasn't been much of an issue yet but that may change as the winter rolls on.

I do have a few questions ...

1. Does anyone know of any good glass cleaner for the stove windows? Believe it or not... I did clean the windows when I pulled then to replace the glass seals, but once I tried to light the fire they became quite dirty. Not a big deal but I would like to clean them from time to time if possible.

2. This question might sound silly...but what should I be expecting for ashes in the burn pot? More specifically... I have burned through two bags of pellets now without problems. When I go to clean out the burn pot there is a surprising small amount of ashes {less than a cup}. With my stove in the house there might be a cup or two of ashes left in the pit from a bag of pellets. I realize the two stoves will burn differently, but I am concerned all of the ashes are just going to clog the stove again {in a short time} I will clean the stove on a regular basis...but would rather not have to do a complete teardown once a month :) Any thoughts?

jwoot,

I just use a crumpled up piece of newspaper or a scratchy old towel to clean my glass when I do clean it. Unless there is a sticky film on it, you will discover that if the pellets are good and the airflow is correct it is nothing but a layer of ash, it should come right off. If additional effort is required you can moisten the newspaper, dip it in the ashes, and use that as a scouring powder.

Other people use other methods.

A forty pound bag of premium pellets should produce less than 6.4 ounces of ash total, note this a weight not volume, see this post https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/ for information on ash production using big box pellet brands.

Hello

I also have a Glo-King P100F in my garage. I bought it at a thrift store and it came with the manual. The manual was folded in half for a long time. Besides that it
is in copyable condition. It is labeled "Quick Reference Section" - My stove never worked. I plugged it in and tried to get any of the fans to work. Nothing happened. I think only a red light came on. I figured the control panel just was not working and removed it for repair. That never happened. When I find a way to power the individual components for an operational test check, I will continue my quest to get it working again. So if anyone needs a copy of the manual. Just drop me a note and I'll mail one off for a dollar. I think my manual is a copy of the original because the pages are only printed on one side. There are no wiring information in this manual. It just explains installation, maintenance and operational instructions. The burn pot is broken. Only the bottom an two walls are left on it. Does anyone know if I could rebuild it with Quik-Cement mix or stucco cement?

Status
Not open for further replies.