Smoky house!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trevor M

Jan 18, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hi Guys.. My first post here. Hope you can help.

The wife and I moved into a 1970 cottage in the woods 3 months ago. It has a what look likes a very old wood stove. After buying my first chimney sweep I went to clean it out and found it was almost spotless. Forsure the stove was being used before we moved in as there was a ton of ashes that needed to be cleaned out. The thing is we have been using this stove for 2 solid months with a fire almost every day and night without issue... now all of a sudden there is smoke leaking out of the ring that enters the ceiling. I fills the house with smoke. I did take the sweep and cleaned out a lot of creosote and am burning a Sweeping log as I type this.

My question is... can I put some high temp caulk around that flange.. or is it to danger fearing the caulk could catch fire.

I'll be posting pics in a few minutes.

Thanks!

Hi Guys.. My first post here. Hope you can help.

The wife and I moved into a 1970 cottage in the woods 3 months ago. It has a what look likes a very old wood stove. After buying my first chimney sweep I went to clean it out and found it was almost spotless. Forsure the stove was being used before we moved in as there was a ton of ashes that needed to be cleaned out. The thing is we have been using this stove for 2 solid months with a fire almost every day and night without issue... now all of a sudden there is smoke leaking out of the ring that enters the ceiling. I fills the house with smoke. I did take the sweep and cleaned out a lot of creosote and am burning a Sweeping log as I type this.

My question is... can I put some high temp caulk around that flange.. or is it to danger fearing the caulk could catch fire.

I'll be posting pics in a few minutes.

Thanks!
No hight temp caulk won't work none are high enough temp. Some pics might help. Have you had the system inspected by a pro?

Pictures..

Attachments

• 20200118_151239.jpg
    20200118_151239.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 20200118_143758.jpg
    20200118_143758.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 20200118_143537.jpg
    20200118_143537.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 172
Thanks beholler.. no we haven't had it inspected as we planned on replacing it in the next couple of months. As I mentioned it has been fine till the Creosote started to build. Now all of a sudden smoke comes out that joint unless she's burning over 400f. I use only hardwood with less than 15% water content.

Thanks for answering my question about the caulking.

Cheers

If you fouled your system to the point its leaking smoke in 3 months then your wood is not that good, you're burning practices need improvement or maybe more likely, both.

Did you check the cap? That usually clogs first and worst. Once you're up and running you probably need to give more air to burn cleaner.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Good points! We burned the previous owners left over wood till our good stuff showed up. Very good point about checking the cap. I did not check it but will tomorrow after the snow storm passes.

Thanks

How are you testing the moisture of your wood? If you bought “seasoned” wood chances are it’s not dry unless it was kiln dried.

We bought it from a guy in the business. the wood is kept under a metal roof and 2 seasons old. I have a moisture tester and all his wood is registering about 7% or less. Cherry, Maple and Ash I believe he said.

I'm eager as heck to get on the roof and check that cap screen. but 2 feet of snow and more to come makes it a bit challenging lol.

It probably was a couple of times. The temp did rise as high as 600 at least twice that I know. There is a problem with the automatic air inlet on the door. It does not work properly and has a mind of its own, hence the main reason we are replacing the stove. The fire will be burning beautifully at about 350 and the flap is opened just the right amount to maintain it, and then it will decide to just open up fully and the temp will soar! On other occasions the flap will decide to close and suffocate the fire down to 200. This is why there is a knife sticking in it, in one of the photos, to keep it open. For now we only burn wood when Im home to keep a constant eye on it. Our home will be getting a full renovation so things will be upgraded in the spring.

I'm eager as heck to get on the roof and check that cap screen. but 2 feet of snow and more to come makes it a bit challenging lol.

Got any binoculars? If you have a line of sight you can check it with that. Post up what kind it is, some are more prone to clogging than others.

Winner winner.. chicken dinner. Jataxico you nailed it! The cap was about 90% plugged. What a relief to discover this...I now know what to inspect on a more regular basis.

Thanks guys!!

Reactions: MissMac
Progress! If you can't get to the roof because of the snow, it looks like you're setup to sweep from the bottom up by removing the cap at the base of the stainless pipe. I dunno how much stack you have above that but you (or a pro) should be able to run a brush up to the cap and clear it. Run a shop vac while brushing and it shouldn't be too messy a job.

Yes Im able to sweep from the catch pot up. Already did it. I put the brush in and then attach a plastic bag around the pipe with a rubber band and all the soot falls into the bag.

Cheers!

Reactions: jatoxico
Winner winner.. chicken dinner. Jataxico you nailed it! The cap was about 90% plugged. What a relief to discover this...I now know what to inspect on a more regular basis.

Thanks guys!!
Happened here once. Except the outside temps were -10f to -35f for several weeks.

Yes Im able to sweep from the catch pot up. Already did it. I put the brush in and then attach a plastic bag around the pipe with a rubber band and all the soot falls into the bag.
Cheers!
I usually tape it good with packaging tape. Would not want it to come loose.

We bought it from a guy in the business. the wood is kept under a metal roof and 2 seasons old. I have a moisture tester and all his wood is registering about 7% or less. Cherry, Maple and Ash I believe he said.

Nope - i cannot believe 7% or less. Bring in some splits from outside and let them warm to room temp (give it 48hours to be sure). Then put a fresh split into each, and test those fresh faces with a moisture metre. Unless it came out of a kiln I would bet my house and my cats that your wood isn’t as dry as you think.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Though to be fair I should mention that we have a heated mud room which contains about a half face at a time..so the wood is warmed and fully dried even before we stand beside the stove. Just saying

Last edited:
well I just split a log that has been in the mud room for 2 weeks..reads 17% I then split a log that has been beside the stove for a day..7% Since I'm always warming the wood beside the stove before burning.. I think it's safe to say that only the driest wood is being used. Still I will spit a log from outside as you mentioned out of curiosity. ;)

well I just split a log that has been in the mud room for 2 weeks..reads 17% I then split a log that has been beside the stove for a day..7% Since I'm always warming the wood beside the stove before burning.. I think it's safe to say that only the driest wood is being used. Still I will spit a log from outside as you mentioned out of curiosity. ;)
10% in a day next to the stove? No way. But at 17% you are fine

Reactions: MissMac
don't know what to tell ya.. brought it in 2-3 days ago and only had one fire for about 6 hrs, that's when the panic was on cause of all the smoke and I joined this forum. When I say I brought it in I mean from the mud room 15' away that has the door open all the time.
Whatever.. good to know that 17% or less is good for burning. I'm pretty sure all my problems stemmed from BEFORE I started buying the good stuff and also burning to cool thanks to the faulty automatic intake vent..LOL what a joke. Im guessing they never worked or you would see them on every stove today. We're looking into getting a PE Alderlea T4 or T5 Nice looking stove with great performance.
Any thoughts? Our home is 1000sqft

Cheers guys!

split a bunch to get an average, but only after they've been inside for a couple of days. 17% i believe. anything under 20 you're good to go. :)

Is that an Ashley Columbian? I used one like that back in 1971, bought from the Whole Earth Catalog. Haven't seen one in a long time.

We're looking into getting a PE Alderlea T4 or T5 Nice looking stove with great performance.
Any thoughts? Our home is 1000sqft
Go for the T5 in your climate zone. Note that it will not be crazy hot and radiant like the old Ashley. The cast iron jacket softens the heat on the sides.

Is that an Ashley Columbian? I used one like that back in 1971, bought from the Whole Earth Catalog. Haven't seen one in a long time.

Go for the T5 in your climate zone. Note that it will not be crazy hot and radiant like the old Ashley. The cast iron jacket softens the heat on the sides.
I don't really know but from what your saying it most likely is as the house was built in 1970.

Thanks for the tip on the T5