Snowblower electric starter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired Guy

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
Cape Vincent, NY
I have a John Deere 1128DDE and I think the electric starter is getting a bit tired. Turns over very slow, sometimes stalls with a hum. Are these rebuild-able or should I just get a $70 new starter?

Since it is getting hard to find any rebuilders that know what they are doing you may be about forced to buy new.

Reactions: rwhite
Well, depending on what you mean by "slow" and "hum," it may be worth pulling off and checking to see if the small gear is free to move out the shaft and engage the engine. Check also the wire contacts; remove the wire, scrape off any corrosion, reattach. My old J-D 826 8 HP has an electric starter, although I don't often use it, since that old beast usually starts with the first pull, even after three seasons sitting in the garage. But once, I thought I needed it, due to a small wire up under the handle rubbing against a threaded rod connected to the forward speed lever, finally wearing through to copper and intermittently shorting to ground. At first, the starter gear would not reliably engage the engine's gear. I removed it, cleaned everything, lightly lubricated the gear and shaft, and reinstalled. It's been fine since, although I don't think I've used it since taping that small wire and repositioning it.

See if you can check the brushes and either replace or flip over. A great % of the time a motor acts sluggish I because the brushes are worn and it drawing to much juice.

Reactions: Fred Wright
See if you can check the brushes and either replace or flip over. A great % of the time a motor acts sluggish I because the brushes are worn and it drawing to much juice.

You are probably correct. It was close to 30 today and it spun over and started fine. when it gets colder, single digits, is when I have trouble. I'll check the brushes

What are you running for Oil??

I have a John Deere 1128DDE and I think the electric starter is getting a bit tired. Turns over very slow, sometimes stalls with a hum. Are these rebuild-able or should I just get a $70 new starter?
Our aged Toro has done the same. Do the above ideas when you pull the starter, but also try these:
Try jumping it with current to see if the Bendix pops out to engage the snowblower flywheel. It needs to go about a full inch or so to engage the flywheel's teeth.
And, from one of the snow guys here , heat the starter with your wife's hairdryer before using the starter in cold temps ( This can be hazardous to relations ! ).
If you ask around, there are a few motor rebuilders in small shops who still rewind coils and replace brushes. Mostly in small towns that do alternators, generators, and other small motors. The charge here is less than 1/4 the cost of a new motor.
My bill is in the mail.

Plug in to the wall style, or battery operated? If a battery is involved, keep in mind, the colder the temps the less cranking amps a battery will provide.

before ordering those two dig around a bit. as they arn't noted for discounted prices, also pay attention to shipping costs on same, got to love a $3 part and $11.95 for shipping. Yep that does exisit out there needed the part only source old one not repairable nor could I duplicate it. Friggin plastic.

before ordering those two dig around a bit. as they arn't noted for discounted prices, also pay attention to shipping costs on same, got to love a $3 part and $11.95 for shipping. Yep that does exisit out there needed the part only source old one not repairable nor could I duplicate it. Friggin plastic.

That's not so bad, most people find that the starter is wonky or the tire needs air, so they throw it away and get a new snow blower. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.