bill3rail Posted By bill3rail, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:13 PM

1. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Informational Purposes Only! Don't try this at home!

I saw the pricing of new control boards (~$200.00) and thought I could make one for a whole lot less. Actually it cost less than $30.00.

I only built this for emergency backup purposes only.
    No auto start igniter, but that would be another simple circuit if I really needed it. I can use a propane torch to start her up.

Prices are approximate.

I found a motor control board (On/Off timer relay). $5.00
    3-gang outlet box $3.00
    Outlet $3.00
    Double Switch $8.00
    Outlet blank filler $4.00
    Outlet cover $3.00
    Miscellaneous wires from the garage $Free

Odp6IBb.jpg

A90CWjY.jpg

B2K1yqJ.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    tlc1976 and arhyne like this.
  2. chamas

chamas
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 13, 2011
    Loc:
    PNW
    Excellent! A true craftsman! How can I tell (just by looking at it)? You arranged all the coverplate screws in the N-S orientation!

Have you tested it yet?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Testing is starting now. It was too cold last night (~32F) to start, stop then restart so I just ran it as manufactured.

Bill

4. Dataman

Dataman
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Newport, Wa
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

wooduser likes this.
  5. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    I'll accept that, they may eventually think that handy is sexy!

6. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Getting the upper auger timing exact is almost impossible!

Run time, stop time...

Too much run time and you are burned out!

Too much stop time and your augers will clog up like big foot using your toilet!

I think I have it at a decent rate right now.

Bill

7. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Video of it working before I adjusted the run and stop times.

Bill

8. arhyne

arhyne
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Thursday
    Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I'm so close to doing this with my Enviro. I've been thinking about it for several years. Their electronics are so prone to failure and expensive to replace. I had a power surge kill one, a minor surge from a storm didn't harm anything else in the house and my other board is failing now. Plus I don't like the fan control method on the board. Makes a lot of noise.

9. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Things to change:
    A) Have the lower auger plug in to an outlet like the Combustion blower as there is no need for it to be switched.
    B) Mount the timing circuit to more easily adjust the run and stop timing.

Bill

Here it is running with my control box.
    ``

arhyne likes this.
  10. arhyne

arhyne
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Thursday
    Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Very nice. Do you have any relays on the sensors for overheat or loss of heat?

Do your fan motors seem to run smoother than on the electronics it came with?

11. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    It is real simple to build so go for it! I don't know much about an Enviro stove but they all seem to work on the same basic principal.

If you want to get more detailed, you can easily wire in any safety circuits that are on your stove.

Bill

12. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    No, I did not wire in any of the safeties. This controller was designed for emergency use only.

I actually thought the room (convection) blower sounded louder than with the OEM control board.
    Probably because it is running on one single speed where the OEM board changes the speed.

Bill

13. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Pretty cool bill. I have tinkered but never found the time to source out everything. Kudos!

14. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    I did it as simply as I could, which also equates to cheap, which I like.

Wish I had purchased everything at once to show exact cost.
    Time was the main issue, I would start playing with it and stop to do something else.

Bill

15. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
  16. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Well, now that the fire is lit, keep feeding it and show us what you come up with.

Is that is a build it yourself kit? The kit I bought on SleazyBay (Also on Scamazon) was assembled and about $20.00 cheaper. The run and stop times are adjustable with potentiometers on the board.

Bill

17. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    It can be bought assembled or in a kit. 10 bucks cheaper if you assemble(not)

Red dips are “on” timers
    Blue dips are “off” timers
    PIC16F630
    I have to look into the data sheet and see if internal timing ability allows for the PIC to be used as heat range 1-5
    If so another might be able to be used as combo / convection blower controls.