So our power went out yesterday while the stove was on...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletGirl

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2014
Long Island, NY
Have to say I was concerned but luckily no problems at all. No smoke in the house or smells, and when the power came back on it started right up again and picked up where it left off. Of course, we got the back-up battery and cable after that all happened, but it is now hooked up so we are good for heat if it happens again. Guess we have enough vertical venting to keep the smoke moving. At least something was done right on install.

I'm glad to hear no issues. I do not have any battery backup on my P43 yet either. I do have it exhausting into a chimney, so like yourself I'm hoping there is enough draw here also. I need to get off my butt and purchase the battery backup just to be safe.

Why wait till a power failure, Phileefan? Unplug it and observe what happens. If the rooms starts to fill up with smoke, then simply plug back in, and you will definitely know what to expect with a power failure. That should motivate you to get the battery backup a sap.

That is a very good idea. I will wait till the Mrs is not at home, just in case!

The very day after our stove was installed, we lost power for just a few minutes. It's not an automatic stove, no ignitor. Power came back, the coals were still hot enough the stove came back and continued on like nothing ever happened. If my son hadn't been home I would never have known.

This is the way to go as you will probably find you dont need the back up at all.

We have the backup because our other source of heat is oil hot water baseboard which won't work in a power failure. At least this way, we will have heat from the stove if the power goes out.

We have the backup because our other source of heat is oil hot water baseboard which won't work in a power failure.
Why is that? I've found the oil boiler/baseboard doesn't take that much juice. I've easily powered mine with a 900 watt generator. Doesn't a modern pellet stove have an electric resistance ignitor? That has to be good for a number of watts? Isn't the typical role of a battery to gracefully shut down the pellet stove and to do more requires more/bigger batteries and suitable inverter? Central heat and maybe even hot water if there's city water for very little wattage trump a pellet stove during a power outage, I'd say.

Hey PelletGirl, when you get a chance put your stove in your signature so we know what you have.

Have to say I was concerned but luckily no problems at all. No smoke in the house or smells, and when the power came back on it started right up again and picked up where it left off. Of course, we got the back-up battery and cable after that all happened, but it is now hooked up so we are good for heat if it happens again. Guess we have enough vertical venting to keep the smoke moving. At least something was done right on install.

Anyone have a source, a chart or something, of what should be enough, the dealer said five up and 5 out was fine? I'd hate to think that with 9 foot ceilings I could have brought the rise up to 7 or eight feet rise!

My understanding is that since our stove has a DC motor it uses much less power than our heating system.

I just looked at the manual and I guess you can run the stove manually starting it without the ignitor, and the stove is set up for running on battery, so I guess you're good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.