Softened Water for Wood Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Case1030

Feeling the Heat
Dec 12, 2017
Manitoba
Going to start filling my wood boiler today and also purchasing a gallon of water treatment that does 200 gallons for the boiler.

What type of water should I use?

I have lime/magnesium rich water that goes through my house water softener. I was told to use straight well water and the water treatment will take care of everything from there... is that true?

Last edited:
Water harness around 30 grains per gallon.

I've heard the same, either is ok, but bypassing the softener is somewhat better. I don't know all the science behind it though.

Reactions: Case1030
The boiler at work was installed in 1969 and has never had softened water...straight tap water with treatment only. It was retubed about 20 years ago...they said that was a waste of time/money.

Reactions: Case1030