Softwood Consistancy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John62

Hearth Supporter
Dec 26, 2009
CT
In reading through this forum, it seams that many people have issues with softwood pellets being consistent from batch to batch. This season I am burning Turman pellets and they have been great. Good heat and not too much ash. I want to try some softies next season and am looking for a brand that will be consistent (Vermont Wood Pellets get good reviews but I don't know how they do from batch to batch). Any feedback would be appreciated. I own a Harman XXV and would really would like to hear from fellow Harman owners.

I had really good results from Cleanfire softwoods last winter, but over the summer
they changed their softwood pellets supplier & I heard bad things about the brand.
I really liked the extra heat from the resins & the reduction in flyash was noticeable.
The Harman "Speedbump" in the burn pot at the end of the auger was reduced as well.
If I hear that Cleanfires are again using a regulated supplier, I won't hesitate to switch back...

Lots of good softies out there. The ones from BC really stand out. Like Daksy says the Cleanfire P's(which are from bc). Eagle Valley, Okanagan, Spruce Pointes, and Pinnacle. Don't be down on trying some VWP's many of the poeple I chat with that has tried them really really like them. Pretty close to the BC stuff, But slightly lower heat IMHO. Best New England softwood AFAIK. Currans did OK but didn't crank the heat the BC stuff did.

Do some digging and see whats available around you. Post the brands and we'll give you a heads up on them. ;-)

I've used Okies and Spruce Pointes in bulk. I'm sure I have tried bags of others but nothing in qty.
This year I have 4 pallets of Spruce Pointe. They have been broken down and carried to to basement. Some have been carried right from the pallet in the garage and put in the stove and some stacked, so I have used some from all 4 pallets.

I can tell that of the 4 different pallets, 1 burns different than the other 3 with more ash. BUT the heat output is the same and the cleanup is also the same; very easy to clean. The ash pan fills up faster on 1 batch, but it's not big deal to me. Carbon buildup has been OK and easy to remove...no chisel needed.

My GF just picked up the last 25 bags of Vermonts that the dealer had.....loves them.

Thanks - I live in the New Haven area of CT. In looking around there is a place in Middle Town that Carries Vermonts and Country Pine Pellets. Never heard of Country Pine. Has anyone ever burned them?

Have been burning primarily softwood pellets in my XXV for about 5 years now. Have burned
a small variety of hardwood pellets too, but prefer the softwood.

Burned the OLD Newp Green Supreme brand exclusively until they were discontinued
a few years back. My experience with em was they were consistant from pallet to pallet.
They also burned hot and clean with little fines in the bags.

This year's stash is a mix of Oakies and Spruce Pointe. Heard good things about the Vermonts
but have not tried em out yet.

John62 said:
Thanks - I live in the New Haven area of CT. In looking around there is a place in Middle Town that Carries Vermonts and Country Pine Pellets. Never heard of Country Pine. Has anyone ever burned them?

How much for the Vermonts?

John62 said:

I tried them and posted a review here. Nice softy, But I only burned the 2 bag sample. Not sure on consistency!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60581/P88/#711769

Careful. Country pine is made by Atlas and Altas when out of business last year. So these are probably left overs.

The Vermont's were $2.99 or $6.99 per bag. Wasn't looking to score a whole ton just a few bags to test. There are places in CT with better prices by the ton. Will wait for the spring sales but I normally by 4 tons in one shot and that lasts me the whole season.

Those Vermonts are a bit pricey for my wallet. Think they were 269/ton in Hampton NH. Try some and see how it unfolds this spring.

I wish you could find more softwoods in my area everybody oh boy hardwood hardwood hardwood. Then the question dont the softwoods burn faster? I dont even bother anymore too many old stuck in there way narrowminded people. I try to say just go get a few bags and try if you can gind them and see the difference......

Status
Not open for further replies.