Solar - Wind Tax Credit Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Congress Tuesday night passed the 30% tax credit extension to 2019 for solar, including then also a phase down to 10% in 2022. Credits for wind also were extended. The bottom already was falling out of coal, and that fall will be accelerated. Bloomberg New Energy Finance says this about the extension:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ppened-to-solar-and-wind-is-a-really-big-deal

"The extension will add an extra 20 gigawatts of solar power—more than every panel ever installed in the U.S. prior to 2015, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF). The U.S. was already one of the world's biggest clean-energy investors. This deal is like adding another America of solar power into the mix.

The wind credit will contribute another 19 gigawatts over five years. Combined, the extensions will spur more than $73 billion of investment and supply enough electricity to power 8 million U.S. homes, according to BNEF.

"This is massive," said Ethan Zindler, head of U.S. policy analysis at BNEF. In the short term, the deal will speed up the shift from fossil fuels more than the global climate deal struck this month in Paris and more than Barack Obama's Clean Power Plan that regulates coal plants, Zindler said."

Reactions: Laszlo and semipro
Rock On! Now if I can just get my friends and my sister to get off the fence and put it on their roof.

The other bonus is that this extension takes some pressure off me to get my second installation completed by 12/31/2016. Based on how the first installation and tax credit went, I'm not sure I'll be able to recover all my 30% credit in one year, and allowing the balance of credits to roll forward into 2017 without losing the credits certainly helps.

Reactions: bfitz3
Thank you Paul Ryan! _g

I think you mean "Thank you Nancy.".

"Democrats won five-year extensions of wind and solar credits..."

Reactions: Anumber1
Status
Not open for further replies.