"Solarwood" wood stove: Looking for information on them.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not much, it's an oldie. I seem to recall they did something to make it heat better. Are there convection tubes at the top of the firebox?

Yes. That's the only part I don't like about it. They block the firebox form accepting more wood. However, for my house, it's too big as is, so I shouldn't complain. It's a heating beast really. Convection just like a Lopi Liberty...and I just brought one of those home as well 3 days ago. The Solar wood has a blower as well that works. It's located under the ash lip like a Buck stove. The metal isn't super thick on top, but it's pretty heavy with it's heavy fire bricks. Haven't had them out yet, but they appear to be 2" thick, but I'm not yet sure on that.

I wish I could find more info on when it was made and who made it.

Yeah...looks like it sold again recently, but those are the same pictures I've saved from several years ago and some I posted in a thread on another forum trying to find information about them. That particular stove is only 1 of 3 that I have seen online, as well as 2 inserts I seen. One of the 3 stoves I've seen pictures of online...are my pictures. LOL! So, yes...I'm not sure how many are out there. Doesn't appear to be many.

That one does appear to be slightly newer than mine. This is only an assumption, of course, but I base that on the rolled lip this stove has. It was probably an after thought to roll that lip. My stove does not have it.

No labels or other markings elsewhere that I can tell or have found. The right loading door near the bottom hinge says, "Solarwood", and that is it.

Here are some pictures of another “Solarwood” wood stove that I am updating this thread with pictures of. Never seen one like this one. Has a solid top, no blower, and what appears to be an ash pan. The ash lip is quite different also as it has a lip on it instead of simply being a piece of flat plate steel.

This is only the 4th-5th “Solarwood” wood stove I’ve ever seen and two of those were inserts. This is the “only” step top and non-blower model I’ve ever seen.
E01B2A19-E0B4-4C4A-9C91-FC5E85668080.jpeg0E629039-83E6-489A-83F8-2AD14B8E4464.jpeg4C47DBA5-D13B-4182-93C6-D386C847D418.jpeg

I found a couple more examples of “Solarwood” stoves that I wanted to post to keep the information current. Information on these is hard to come by, but I have some additional pictures I want to post besides these with new information about who made them.
New information coming after these...
B38195DD-58DF-4678-A1FA-D0E2E01073B5.jpeg69A48B80-60A4-4A45-9883-5E6193BCC647.jpeg

It’s hard to tell in the photo’s if this stove has glass in the doors or replacement steel plates like mine did. However, it not hard to see who made these “Solarwood” stoves now. At least we have a new lead to gathering further I formation about these stoves.

Apparently these were built by Haugh’s.

I’m almost certain it might have been forum member @begreen who has posted information on Haugh’s stoves before herethe forum.

B43C3B15-F8D9-4B25-9129-A1E029467E5A.jpeg93373571-E4A7-4960-87EC-BC86B7E9D36E.jpegCF0BDD82-766E-4E9B-A72A-D9DE1095D9B2.jpegF572EB74-7C47-4CA6-BDF2-ABF1639CD1DC.jpeg

Notice how the doors on the stove below are identicle to the doors on my earlier stove shown earlier in this thread. However, this stove does not have then convection top or the blower
E72E4F93-C04E-41BD-AFAB-4594C204EB86.jpeg

I think now would be a good time for a forum moderator to change the title of this thread slightly to “Haugh’s Products Ltd. Solarwood ...(the rest of the title)”, if they would be so kind to do so.

It is unclear still if this is a Haugh’s brand stove with a model name of “Solarwood”, or if this stove was another brand produced altogether and owned by Haugh’s.

Questions remain whether “Solarwood is a maker or a brand and/or if model numbers or names existed for these stoves. I’m not sure, but I feel that we are much closer to getting correct information just by being able to see a stove with a tag on it. The tag pictures above is the first tag I’ve seen on one of these stoves or inserts.

Contributors to this thread and additional information are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Here is yet another "Solarwood" stove that I have found pictures of online. Clearly, this one has a Haugh's Products sticker on the back and was made in Canada.

More and more evidence is pointing out that these "Solarwood" stoves are the earliest from this company in Canada.

The following is based on my own research and at this time is not yet confirmed, but purely speculation based on that research leading to my conclusions as of 1/11/2021 and is subject to change as more information becomes available:

After searching many old posts on this forum and others the very first of these stoves were built by the Solarwood Inc. company, purchased later by Haugh's Products, which was later purchased by Century, which was again later purchased by SBI. Somewhere along the line, likely after Haugh's bought the rights to the stove, they were sold at Sears as well and may have been exclusively available through Sears, though I am not certain.

122221444_368999340821252_4841665462671315017_o.jpg 122037229_368997307488122_2198651307987856978_o.jpg

Last edited: