Solidified ash deposits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scagger

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2008
Central MA
I mentioned awhile ago that I had reversed my air wash on my Quad Castile Insert by flipping the glass around so the open area of the gasket is on the bottom. Since I've done that, it significantly reduced the how often I empty the burn pot by producing more fly ash out of the pot. Glass gets a bit dirty, but I'm okay with that because having to empty the pot every morning was a real pain. Stove would not ignite due to ash in the burn pot if I didn't empty it. Since I reversed the air wash, I might have to empty the pot every days or so.

However, one thing I am noticing is the extremely hard ash deposits in the bottom of the pot almost making it impossible to empty the pot using the handle. I have to pull the ash pan out and move the bottom plate by hand to empty the pot because ash is so stuck to the bottom. The ash is a solidified chunk that is black and grainy in appearance and sometimes with a shine like it is glazed. Could this be the remnants of impurities in the pellets along with some sap? The pellets are Douglas Fir so maybe it could be?

The ash is a solidified chunk that is black and grainy in appearance and sometimes with a shine like it is glazed. Could this be the remnants of impurities in the pellets along with some sap? The pellets are Douglas Fir so maybe it could be?

That’s exactly what it is, not so much the sap but sand, bark, binders used to enhance the pellet making process, i use an old screwdriver that I sharpened and scrape the pot with.