Some Disturbing Climate Trends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The problem with grazing cattle vs CAFO, in regards to the environment, is the point of diminishing returns for soil carbon sequestration and how much cattle you can finish with grain in a feedlot. The feedlot cattle can be argued to have a lower standard of welfare, which I would agree with. However, like Woodgeek mentioned, there's not enough land, money, or willpower to convert over to WOP for all cattle production. You would also have to stack two or three species on the same pasture to even come close to marching the efficiency of CAFO. which is even crazier when you consider that artificial fertilizers are synthesized using FF! What this really goes to show is how crazy inefficient it is for a ruminant to convert cellulose into proteins.

The microbes living in the digestive tract of ruminants are way more efficient at the feed conversion, but the cow itself is not. Camelids are around 40% more efficient than cows, but grow slower, produce only 1/5 of the milk, and nobody is asking for camel meat. The higher feed conversion ratio is lost to the slower growth and lower output. I think sheep and goats can come close to the feed conversion efficiency, but you get less yield from the inputs compared to cattle. However, sheep and goats are much more efficient in land use and can forage much lower quality pasture compared to cattle. They can be kept around "solar farms" which need landscape maintenance anyway. Before rail, big trucks, and refrigeration, sheep and swine were the dominant meat animals, but people also ate less meat. Also worth noting, the more efficient Camelids also produce less methane than cattle, but I can't see them being a good choice for large scale production unless animal labor comes back in a big way.

I didn't realize the average American ate that much beef, that's roughly one pound a week. I couldn't imagine eating a Quarter Pounder every other day. ;sick That's way too much meat for a society of folks that are mostly sedentary.

Yes, the U.S. imports and exports a huge amount of beef. Most of the prime beef is sent overseas to Japan and Korea.

From the classes I've taken, they've said that soils above 18% organic matter turn into muck and becomes somewhat unusable. I have never heard of a working farm having soils above 18% organic matter, let alone 10% organic matter so that leads me to believe that saying the soils can only store so much carbon on a working farm is somewhat of a myth.

I'll agree that some parts of the WOP study are probably a little misleading since they are taking farms they've bought with <1% organic matter and are using their methods to raise the organic matter, and therefore showing it's a wash. The same probably can't be said for the soils they've had animals on for the last 10 - 15 years since they probably have pretty high organic matter at this point. To my point above, I doubt they are at 18% organic matter but they are probably absorbing carbon at a much slower rate than soil with very low organic matter.

Re sheep meat. Soldiers in WWII were sent mutton. When they got back from the war that gave lamb / mutton a bad name. The fat on lamb / mutton also has a lower melting point than beef does and a lot of folks don't like the mouth feel. That's why you are suppose to drink room temperature beverage when eating lamb / mutton.

I thought this was pretty interesting - https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/arti...ethane-and-what-it-means-for-greenhouse-gases

Last edited:
Reactions: woodgeek
What's funny is, sheep are a much better at converting a lb. of grain, grass, whatever into a lb. of meat and the average American eats half lb. of lamb a year.
The gyro lobby is falling down on their job! Between gyros and a badass Shepherd's pie my wife makes at least a half dozen times per year, I must be eating at least 8x the national average in sheep. Anyone making their gyros or Shepherd's pie with beef, doesn't know what they're missing, and is frankly doing it wrong. ;lol

The gyro lobby is falling down on their job! Between gyros and a badass Shepherd's pie my wife makes at least a half dozen times per year, I must be eating at least 8x the national average in sheep. Anyone making their gyros or Shepherd's pie with beef, doesn't know what they're missing, and is frankly doing it wrong. ;lol
I like lamb and mutton more than beef, even goat tastes better to me. Both of which are probably better for the environment than cattle, but there's just not the same level of profit and Americans are accustomed to fatty beef rather than lean goat or mutton. I have to fight to keep my eyes from rolling back into my head when someone tells me they don't like grass fed beef because it's "gamey". Give me all of the "gamey" grass fed red meat!

The sheep folks stepped up their marketing game a few years ago but I doubt it's made much of difference. The majority of lamb in this country is consumed by folks who did not grow up eating, beef, pork, or chicken as their primary protein. When I raised sheep, I ate very little beef and mostly lamb. We had a "meet the farmer" gathering at my farm one year. I smoked two big lamb shoulders, the only thing left after the event was the crust from when it was smoked. At the end people I told people it was lamb, they were shocked. ;lol I'll take a lamb burger over a beef burger any days of the week. Lamb is generally higher in fat than beef too. Not good if you have high cholesterol.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Ashful
This year is not off to a good start. 3 records set for global high temp this week. El Nino is strong and about 2 months early. North Atlantic temps are very high. Adrar, Algeria experienced the hottest nighttime temp ever recorded in Africa (103.3F) And the measurement of Antarctic sea ice is about 1 million square miles short compared to average, or about 4 times the area of Texas.

Like someone said before, climate change is probably causing Arctic air shifting down. 61 today and it feels like fall. Mid June it was like 52 all week with no sun and I was running my stove. Which is a first since probably 2009.

Like someone said before, climate change is probably causing Arctic air shifting down. 61 today and it feels like fall. Mid June it was like 52 all week with no sun and I was running my stove. Which is a first since probably 2009.
The earth's systems are complex and interrelated. Local weather is not climate. The overall global trend is decidedly hotter.

FWIW, Michigan's climate is changing, with most of the state having warmed two to three degrees in the last century. Severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are becoming more frequent, and ice cover on the Great Lakes is forming later or melting sooner. Since the early 1970s, winter ice coverage in the Great Lakes has decreased by 63 percent. Lake Superior is heating up at an average of two degrees per decade, making it one of the fastest-warming lakes in the world. The overall effects of climate change in Michigan are expected to be widespread, mixed, and net-negative.

I thought the cartoon below was appropriate to the discussion.
BTW, today is the historically hottest day of the year where I live in SW Virginia - an important milestone for someone like me that prefers things a bit colder.
climate-fluctuation-v0-l9wqhn9q0edb1.jpg

Reactions: SpaceBus
Meanwhile, down under, 38ºC (100ºF) in winter! !!! 2023 will be one for the record books.

South America.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Ashful
could be my imagination,it seems to be getting dark very fast lately like it's fall.one of you data nuts feel like checking it out?
Sorry. I moved to the equator... and all the days are 12 hours long now.

lol,just seems to me to be like it's a bit quick this year.to lazy to go through sunrise sunset times ,but i know someone is going to get the itch lol

could be my imagination,it seems to be getting dark very fast lately like it's fall.one of you data nuts feel like checking it out?
Normal. It's more noticeable at higher latitudes. Right now Quebec is losing 2.5 minutes of daylight a day. A month from now there will be an hour and a half less daylight locally. o_O

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceBus
Sunday coming up, 08-06-23, is looking like a day to stay home for.

I have been in Fairbanks 15 years and we are about to be, on Sunday, under the first evacuation watch for wild fire I have ever heard of. Supposed to be a bunch of wind. D o Forestry is running all the airplanes that can tote a 5 gallon bucket of water full time and wide open throttle. The DOF planes are just a little bit bigger than the larger mosquitos around here...

AND if you were to point your browser at helsinkitimes dot fi you would easily find Sunday 08-06 is going to be a bugger over there too. I think I will put my truck in the garage Saturday night.

I have been in Fairbanks 15 years and we are about to be, on Sunday, under the first evacuation watch for wild fire I have ever heard of. Supposed to be a bunch of wind. D o Forestry is running all the airplanes that can tote a 5 gallon bucket of water full time and wide open throttle. The DOF planes are just a little bit bigger than the larger mosquitos around here...

AND if you were to point your browser at helsinkitimes dot fi you would easily find Sunday 08-06 is going to be a bugger over there too. I think I will put my truck in the garage Saturday night.
Stay safe, Poindexter.

Bummer. Things are tinder dry this summer. Is this the Anderson Complex fire? Sounds like a nasty one. They are recruiting planes and personnel out of Elmendorf too. Keep those air filters humming.

So far so good, but the wind hasn't started here yet this evening.

Outdoors right now the nearest BAM unit (beta attenuation monitor - they are very expensive) is showing about 30 mcg/m3 of PM2.5 and 40 mcg/m3 of PM10. Indoors I am 3 mcg/m3 and 4 mcg/m3, so my filters are able to keep up as long as all the doors and windows are closed.

Air quality was visibly much much worse earlier today. If tonight's wind comes out of the NW at just the right angle we should be OK, but Chinook winds, AKA the pineapple express, come from the south. From about due north, clockwise through east and south to due west, Fairbanks is pretty much surrounded by wildfires.

My first summer up here, 2008, I was wondering about air conditioning on July 2, 3 and 4. It started raining (again) on July 5th and cooling off. 2023 I was ready for AC in mid May and we are now 2.5 months of what feels like unusually high heat and humidity with not very much rain.

I am now, optimistically, going to order some more furnace filters for my air cleaners.

Reactions: woodgeek and EbS-P
If the wind blew overnight it didn't wake me up, and it is not blowing now, so yay. Outdoor air is currently reading 123 & 146 mcg/m3 for PM10 and PM2.5 respectively. They are calling the PM 2.5 the controlling variable for AQI and the current scale returns "181 AQI" , well up into unhealthy. I have got zero and zero in the house.

It looks like July 2023 will be the hottest in recorded history. I suspect 2023 will go down as the hottest year at this rate. Not a record to be proud of.

Not to mention it's 100f in the southern hemisphere, during winter. I can't believe people aren't lined up ready to drag big energy corporate executives into the streets.