Some input on my chimney pipe installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gmabear

May 23, 2022
south dakota
Hello :) . I am a new pellet stove owner- recently 'professionally' installed by the establishment we bought the stove from. I know absolutely nothing about stoves _but i DO LIKE being warm. I would appreciate your input on the following issues. Yes, i have contacted the dealer/installer. He's got my money and is now somewhat difficult to reach or discuss anything :mad:
So I'm turning to you for hopefully some answers as i seek to understand.

Stove is a Harmon P35i-C installed a few weeks ago. We removed the fireplace and installed this pellet insert. We've only gotten to use it maybe 6-7 days. During the time we used it we've had some hellacious!! wind. In excess of 70 mph.
1. Ive noticed that the status light on the stove was occasionally blinking 'twice.' There is nothing in the owners manual to indicate the problem. I called the dealer...he says "I've never seen that before. Its probably the wind causing the issue, but I'll guarantee it wasnt anything i did wrong." No, he never came over to check....never gave me a response to help me understand. So thats my first question. Whats up with the double blink status light.
2. Second issue...no doubt the wind tore something loose on the chimney. I callled him and told him that something appeared to be loose. Following rain and snow, I could hear water dripping within the chimney. Yup...I called the dealer again. Told him i could see some squarish tin changing positions on top of my chimney and that I could hear water dripping within the chimney. Well, 3 weeks later, 3 phone calls later, and 5- 6 rainy days later he still hadn't come. I'm very irked. I'd really appreciate not having water damage to my home. My husband and I don't do ladders anymore, but we had a friend come and check some of the other vents on the roof to make sure the wind hadn't ripped them off and while he was up there, he checked out the chimney. The stove install involved going from a 9-inch chimney pipe adapted to a 6 inch. I dont know how this gets done, but that's what the dealer/ installer said to me. Well our friend took a picture so we could see the chimney. See attachment. Again,,,,I know nothing about stove installation, but this kind of looks like the flexible pipe and the insulation around the pipe are burned/charred. So I'm like....Is THIS GONNA BURN MY HOUSE DOWN!?!! And yup....this time my husband called the installer. This time he did come over and Hubby told him about the charring and dealer/installer evidently wasn't concerned. He told my husband that if the home were to burn and it was proven that the stove installation was the cause that HE WAS INSURED. (WOAH boy! :eek:that instills all kinds of confidence in me. ) He evidently did something to the chimney, cuz i could hear him on the roof, but i don't know what he did because he never came and said anything to either of us what the $$%^#^ he did. So my second questions is....It that charring something to worry about? Can I safely use the stove?
So thank you for letting me ask you 'seasoned and knowledgeable ' folks to help me understand.

chimney 5.22.22.JPG

Hello :) . I am a new pellet stove owner- recently 'professionally' installed by the establishment we bought the stove from. I know absolutely nothing about stoves _but i DO LIKE being warm. I would appreciate your input on the following issues. Yes, i have contacted the dealer/installer. He's got my money and is now somewhat difficult to reach or discuss anything :mad:
So I'm turning to you for hopefully some answers as i seek to understand.

Stove is a Harmon P35i-C installed a few weeks ago. We removed the fireplace and installed this pellet insert. We've only gotten to use it maybe 6-7 days. During the time we used it we've had some hellacious!! wind. In excess of 70 mph.
1. Ive noticed that the status light on the stove was occasionally blinking 'twice.' There is nothing in the owners manual to indicate the problem. I called the dealer...he says "I've never seen that before. Its probably the wind causing the issue, but I'll guarantee it wasnt anything i did wrong." No, he never came over to check....never gave me a response to help me understand. So thats my first question. Whats up with the double blink status light.
2. Second issue...no doubt the wind tore something loose on the chimney. I callled him and told him that something appeared to be loose. Following rain and snow, I could hear water dripping within the chimney. Yup...I called the dealer again. Told him i could see some squarish tin changing positions on top of my chimney and that I could hear water dripping within the chimney. Well, 3 weeks later, 3 phone calls later, and 5- 6 rainy days later he still hadn't come. I'm very irked. I'd really appreciate not having water damage to my home. My husband and I don't do ladders anymore, but we had a friend come and check some of the other vents on the roof to make sure the wind hadn't ripped them off and while he was up there, he checked out the chimney. The stove install involved going from a 9-inch chimney pipe adapted to a 6 inch. I dont know how this gets done, but that's what the dealer/ installer said to me. Well our friend took a picture so we could see the chimney. See attachment. Again,,,,I know nothing about stove installation, but this kind of looks like the flexible pipe and the insulation around the pipe are burned/charred. So I'm like....Is THIS GONNA BURN MY HOUSE DOWN!?!! And yup....this time my husband called the installer. This time he did come over and Hubby told him about the charring and dealer/installer evidently wasn't concerned. He told my husband that if the home were to burn and it was proven that the stove installation was the cause that HE WAS INSURED. (WOAH boy! :eek:that instills all kinds of confidence in me. ) He evidently did something to the chimney, cuz i could hear him on the roof, but i don't know what he did because he never came and said anything to either of us what the $$%^#^ he did. So my second questions is....It that charring something to worry about? Can I safely use the stove?
So thank you for letting me ask you 'seasoned and knowledgeable ' folks to help me understand.

View attachment 295710
Ok just from that one pic I can see a few things wrong. And have further questions.

The chimney looks to be an air cooled chimney which they put a flexible liner in and stuffed fiberglass insulation around with no top plate. One fiberglass is absolutely not suitable for this purpose. It isn't rated for the proper temps and it actually looks like they used paper faced insulation. It needs to be secured with a top plate and have a proper cap. And I question if they obstructed the cooling air vents when they installed it.

Next if they removed the fireplace is your pellet insert rated to be used without a fireplace? And if so how are they supporting the old chimney and how did they get the liner from the insert to the old chimney when it can't be exposed in an area with combustibles?