Some new firewood gatering tools (Kubota RTV 500 & Trailer)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1234

Dec 5, 2008
Colorado
My land, and the land attached to mine that I can get firewood from is not very accessible with my wood truck. SO ... I got something that can get back and help me get to a lot more firewood. Plus it helps with the other chores around that house too, and it might be a pretty fun toy, but DO NOT use the word toy, it's a tool - at least that is what I had to convince the wife to get it.

The link to the pics : Kubota, Trailer, puppies pics

Oh, and a few pics of the 5 golden retriever pups that are ready for adoption next week.

Nice land and pups Mike. Do you have a winch on the RTV?

No winch yet. First I need a windshield (bugs hitting me in the face when driving fast is not fun). But I think a winch would be pretty important in snow. Mud seems to not be a problem for the tires, been in plenty of that so far.

You have a suggestion for a winch? brand, place to purchase?

Nice toy . . . oops I meant tool. :) ;) Actually, I use my ATV (not a side by side) more for work than I ever do for play . . . which is sometimes kind of sad. When I do finally get out on the trail it reminds me how much fun it is to ride on the trails.

Cute puppies too.

A lot of folks like Warn winches.

I have a HarborFreight 8000lb. The fairlead is kind of cheesy but it works and the price is right. They also have a warranty option that is supposedly a nice and easy no questions asked store replacement. I have it mounted on the front bucket of my tractor. With the bucket in the ground to pull against, it has no problem winching a full size maple out to a place I can skid from.

That's a nice rig. My wife want's a gator in the worst way. That's the only way I'll be able to splurge on something like that.

I have wanted one for a few years, a friend has another model that he uses for his horse stuff, and there was a lot of wood that I was carrying out of the forest by hand, or letting sit there and rot. Last winter I got the truck stuck 2 times and ruined 2 tires in one of the spots that I cut. When a tire blows and you are on just the rim, you can drive out of about anything! Good thing the cell phone works back there, I was by myself some of the time.

It took a little convincing, not that my wife didn't want it too, it's just that with 3 kids in college... If I have to add this to my years it takes to pay off the wood furnace - it adds 3 years.

So far I love it, and it has not picked up any wood, just concrete from the sidewalk I am replacing, and horse crap from the dry lot, and tools that I haul around. I have also been working on those "roads" that are in my pics. There is a lot of wood back in that forest, but I have some work to do to get to it. I could of never gotten to it with the truck.

Backroads said:
That's a nice rig. My wife want's a gator in the worst way. That's the only way I'll be able to splurge on something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.