Somerset Pellet quality

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 7, 2014
Logan County, OH
Hello all...

I bought a ton of Somerset hardwood pellets a few weeks ago.... and in this typical Ohio late fall/early winter weather I have typically burnt about 1 bag a day. These last few weeks they seem to be running through the stove like water, I’m nearly finished with this ton. The stove gets cleaned about once a week, and it seems to be operating just fine (Harman P43), and no, the house isn’t warmer than normal.

Has their quality went down? I have seen a couple bags that had “loose” pellets like they’d taken on some moisture sprinkled in, but 99.9% of the fuel looked completely normal, and the wet pellets weren’t consistent, just here and there maybe 2-3 bags.

thanks for your insight.

Have been burning Somersets for 4 years, 6-7 tons a year. All from Menards. So.... this years "batch" seem a bit dirtier than last years. Last years were the cleanest I've used, for hardwood pellets. This year they have a ton of ash. But, using a IR thermometer, this years are just as hot as the past years. Pellets seem smaller/shorter this year. Dust and fines very low in the bags. Bag material seems to have changed, easier to rip. Still the best packaged pellets, 3 layers of protection and new pallets. I too, had a few wet bags in one ton, first time, though Menards is leaving them out in the yard, uncovered this year. Started burning on October 31 this year. Have gone thru 70 bags so far. Have a P61a and it loves munching on Sets. All around a pretty good hardwood pellet imo. Good bang for the buck. Lord knows I've burnt a lot worse! With sale prices and rebates been averaging around $180 ton. I refuse to pay $300 a ton for "better" pellets. Over a $100 difference in price of Sets around here in NE Ohio. Hope this helps. Stay warm and burn on!

With sale prices and rebates been averaging around $180 ton. I refuse to pay $300 a ton for "better" pellets. Over a $100 difference in price of Sets around here in NE Ohio. Hope this helps. Stay warm and burn on!

I'm north of you in NE Ohio - where do you buy your pellets at? I got mine in Middlefield this year (Easy Heat) and always had to travel far to get Somersets (past Youngstown is the nearest I could find).

This year's Easy Heats burn faster than last year's Somersets, but I blocked off some air ports on my PC45 with aluminum foil and I'm extracting more heat and making a bag last longer on low burn setting. I've always liked the Somersets though (except for the hard ash content they build up). Menard's is crazy for pricing - they want $4.89/bag up by me. I get Easy Heats delivered and stacked away for less than that.

I'm north of you in NE Ohio - where do you buy your pellets at? I got mine in Middlefield this year (Easy Heat) and always had to travel far to get Somersets (past Youngstown is the nearest I could find).

This year's Easy Heats burn faster than last year's Somersets, but I blocked off some air ports on my PC45 with aluminum foil and I'm extracting more heat and making a bag last longer on low burn setting. I've always liked the Somersets though (except for the hard ash content they build up). Menard's is crazy for pricing - they want $4.89/bag up by me. I get Easy Heats delivered and stacked away for less than that.

Who did you buy from in Middlefield, JMJ Enterprises? See they also have Country Boy and Hamers. Hamers are the hottest pellet I've burnt. Green Team Platinums are second with Sets about 50 degrees below. I get all my Sets at Menards in Massillon. A 38 mile trip up and down Rte 30. Where are you north of me? My brother is up in Ashtabula and gets his Sets at Nichols fireplace and stoves. Around $225 if I remember correctly. Yes Menards has changed prices 3 times this season, they've never done that before since I started using them. Waiting for them to go on sale AND have their 11% rebate as I will be needing at least 1 more ton, started with 5, possibly 2. I've got $100 in rebates from past purchases so my next ton will be cheap. Hartville Hardware had Sets earlier this season, $272 a ton. Just seems strange to me that there is a $100 difference in prices on the same product. Didn't use to be such a variance.

I am in West central Ohio , I went back and looked in my office and found the receipt( that took some doing, harvest has been crazy this year.... no wonder the wife said the office needed cleaned up ), I guess I bought this ton on 10/31, so maybe these aren’t so terrible after all.
I should’ve bought my pellets on sale this past spring/early summer.... but I didn’t.

I am in West central Ohio , I went back and looked in my office and found the receipt( that took some doing, harvest has been crazy this year.... no wonder the wife said the office needed cleaned up ), I guess I bought this ton on 10/31, so maybe these aren’t so terrible after all.
I should’ve bought my pellets on sale this past spring/early summer.... but I didn’t.

I cut grass at a farm by Mansfield, Lucas to be precise. Haven't found any pre/after season sales by me. Usually start in August, watching Menards prices/stock with their app (works good). Like to have 4-5 ton on hand to start the season. 63 yr old one man show here. Use my Kawasaki mule to haul the pellets from my truck to my walkout basement, then wheelbarrow them into basement. Hour to hour and a half per ton. Then a week to recuperate! ;)

Who did you buy from in Middlefield, JMJ Enterprises? See they also have Country Boy and Hamers. Hamers are the hottest pellet I've burnt. Green Team Platinums are second with Sets about 50 degrees below. I get all my Sets at Menards in Massillon. A 38 mile trip up and down Rte 30. Where are you north of me? My brother is up in Ashtabula and gets his Sets at Nichols fireplace and stoves. Around $225 if I remember correctly. Yes Menards has changed prices 3 times this season, they've never done that before since I started using them. Waiting for them to go on sale AND have their 11% rebate as I will be needing at least 1 more ton, started with 5, possibly 2. I've got $100 in rebates from past purchases so my next ton will be cheap. Hartville Hardware had Sets earlier this season, $272 a ton. Just seems strange to me that there is a $100 difference in prices on the same product. Didn't use to be such a variance.

Yes, JMJ is where I got mine. They delivered and stacked it for me for a reasonable price, and that made it worthwhile since my F150 is a bit overloaded with a one ton pallet (!), and that takes two trips for two tons. I don't have experience with either Country Boy or Hamers - but sounds like my next purchase should be a Hamers ton.

I'm a ways north - in Parma. It's either big box stores for pellets, or I have to travel. For corn (to mix with pellets) I go west to Norwalk. My son's father-in-law is out in Middlefield and I can get corn from him, but it's only dried to around 15%.

Lived in Bedford for 40+years. Moved down here 6 yrs ago. Tired of the city rat race and the dreaded "LAKE EFFECT SNOW". The TSC in Massillon had Somersets last year. So you might want to check the local TSC stores by you. Rural King carries pellets too. Not sure what they carry, regional I assume. Also check the local stove shops and feed mills. I've played with the idea of mixing in some corn, just haven't got around to it yet. Surrounded by it down here.

Lived in Bedford for 40+years. Moved down here 6 yrs ago. Tired of the city rat race and the dreaded "LAKE EFFECT SNOW". The TSC in Massillon had Somersets last year. So you might want to check the local TSC stores by you. Rural King carries pellets too. Not sure what they carry, regional I assume. Also check the local stove shops and feed mills. I've played with the idea of mixing in some corn, just haven't got around to it yet. Surrounded by it down here.

Forget the corn unless you can buy from the farmer. Stove corn from the elevator around here is more than pellets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk