Somersets - Now I understand all the hype

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Fiv3

Feeling the Heat
Oct 12, 2014
North Rose, NY
Finally found a dealer with some. Secor lumber in Ontario, NY. $5.79 a bag, must buy 3 minimum to get that price. No issue since I buy 6 at a time anyways. Black bag, red logo, high btu graphic on front. By far the cleanest (low fines, low ash), hottest (roasting us out on lowest setting), and best quality I've seen in a while. The pellets even seem, I don't know how to describe it, slicker than others. Like I know they won't stick to the hopper sides. I get it now. These things really are a top notch pellet.

Reactions: Harmanizer
No Okies here unfortunately, but Lignetics yes. These are at the same level of the Lignetics. Last season I ran tons of Lignetics and loved them, especially since they were $257 per ton delivered. This year they wanted $310 per ton for them, so I had to pass. These Sets are a deal Secor is running right now since the manager said they have 22 tons they ordered and got in July and have only sold 6 tons so far. I told him asking $7.99 per bag early on in the season with no per ton discount was his issue. Lol!

Try some douglas fir. Cause if you think the somersets are good you havent seen anything yet.
Agreed burning blazers they are very hot with almost no ash. Been keeping the stove on a low setting so far this season granted it's been a mild Dec however I had to labor my stove last year around this time due to garbage gs. Okie df are better than blazers but not for 60 more per ton. Very happy with my purchase.

I finally found me some somersets. The smell is fresh cut hardwood like no other I have had. Very little ash and good heat. Mine are not slick at all. Probably the least I have bought. But I got mine for $216 a ton and couldn't pass it up. Other than the fines and not shiny and smooth, my favorite pellet so far and that is over Hamers and Country Boys White Lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.