Soot from Harman Accentra Pellet Stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BobK

Dec 12, 2018
Milwaukee
My new pellet stove insert is putting out soot into the house, especially in the loft area. If the fire gets low I also get a smoke smell in the house. I do have a CO2 detector and it hasn't gone off. I do have an outside air intake installed. It is fairly close to the exhaust vent, which seems to get a lot of soot building up the outside of the end of the pipe. The fresh air intake pipe just goes into the back of the stove but is not directly connected to the air intake pipe, The fresh air vent is located on the east side of the house and the predominate wind is from the west. Am I not getting enough fresh air for the fire. Might there be a leak in the exhaust pipe. I do see smoke coming from the outside part of the exhaust and like I said a lot of soot on the end cap of the pipe. Don't want to dust the house every day to clean up the soot. HELP!

To get smoke and soot in house you have to have a leak .
Who installed your stove ?

My new pellet stove insert is putting out soot into the house, especially in the loft area. If the fire gets low I also get a smoke smell in the house. I do have a CO2 detector and it hasn't gone off. I do have an outside air intake installed. It is fairly close to the exhaust vent, which seems to get a lot of soot building up the outside of the end of the pipe. The fresh air intake pipe just goes into the back of the stove but is not directly connected to the air intake pipe, The fresh air vent is located on the east side of the house and the predominate wind is from the west. Am I not getting enough fresh air for the fire. Might there be a leak in the exhaust pipe. I do see smoke coming from the outside part of the exhaust and like I said a lot of soot on the end cap of the pipe. Don't want to dust the house every day to clean up the soot. HELP!
To get smoke and soot in house you have to have a leak .
Who installed your stove ?
Handy man. The dealer was to far away to install it. Would the leak be coming from the exhaust pipe

I'd also suspect a leak. I've been successful finding leaks by turning out the lights and inspecting all the vent connections with a good flashlight and my nose.

Your air intake pipe does not directly connected to the intake pipe?Ah,I see your installation is an insert.Open your checkbook,and have a real install technician come to your house.Just my opinion.

Ditto, when the insert slides into the frame, it has to all line up just right. Sounds like your exhaust port isn’t flush with the frame gasket leading to the flue.

Reactions: johneh