Sooteater line... lesson learned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gareth96

Burning Hunk
Feb 8, 2014
SW Ohio
I guess I missed the obvious.. so maybe this will help someone. I didn't notice that the sooteater head has an allen screw that holds in the line. Mine came with probably 17+" of line and I just cut the ends to fit my stove pipe (~6").

What I should have done is take it out of the head and cut it to fit first.. that way I'd have twice as much line since the original length was more than twice my pipe diameter....

So this year I needed new line, and didn't have time to search for other ideas (missed the obvious).. So I bought a new head with the line installed. When I got it I realized there was a screw.. took the line out, cut it, and now have new line and another set.

Also realized that since the line can be removed from the head that you could just use weedeater line of the same diameter.. be a lot cheaper.

Live and learn.

Last edited:
yep, I've used weed eater line in mine. I need to pick up some thinner stuff though, as the stuff I have for my weed eater is some very thick 0.155" stuff and can only fit two or three before it's full.

Thanks for this. I never considered replacing the line.

When I replaced mine, I cut them the same length as OEM. Like mentioned, it won't hurt anything, it may actually help clean it better if left longer.

I replace lines about once a week this time of year. And I am running the 3/16" square line

Reactions: Ashful
8 to 10 a day for 5 or 6 days
40 to 60 cleanings, you are busy (and fast)! It sounds like my lines at once every other year cleaning will last a lifetime. ;)

Reactions: Ashful
My lines get a lot of abuse, as I clean the stove pipe with it with some sharp edges. Also clean the HX of the Kuuma with it too which has a bunch of things to hit.

Reactions: VintageGal
40 to 60 cleanings, you are busy (and fast)! It sounds like my lines at once every other year cleaning will last a lifetime. ;)
Yeah, I haven’t noticed them getting worn in the decade or so I’ve been using mine! I bet a liner or class A is much kinder than terra cotta or unlined concrete though.

Even after I cut the pieces in half they are still a bit 'long.' Pieces are 8.5" long and the outside diameter of the double wall pipe is 6". So at least 3" longer than needed.

Reactions: mcdougy
I've replaced my line twice. The last time I used the weed eater string that is intended for the push mower type weed eaters (.155 I think). This has worked the best compared to the original and the .095 string I used once.

Reactions: VintageGal
Leave it long and vary the speed when cleaning ..I clean once a year just before the season ;)

For anyone else, I believe this is the same line type and size that shipped OEM with my SootEater. I assume they still use the same.

Arnold Maxi-Edge Commercial Grade String Trimmer Line - .105-Inch x 90-Feet https://a.co/d/bGL7vWR

Reactions: mcdougy