Sooteater question regarding drills

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SteveKG

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 23, 2009
Colorado Rockies
After decades of using a brush, I decided to give Sooteater a try. Mainly, I thought it might help with the chimney cap cleaning, it's way up there,

All through the instructions, it is stated that one should use a cordless drill. I have one, but a relatively small Makita I use for light jobs. I have larger, corded drills. What would be the problem, if any, with using a corded drill to operate the Sooteater? I cannot think of any....

They might specify cordless to minimize their liability if someone has an accident on the roof due to the cord getting hung up or something.

Corded drills have more power...might be more prone to causing injury if something got hung up...that and the cord/electrocution issue as was mentioned.
I don't see why a small cordless wouldn't work...there really isn't that much load on the drill.

I use small cordless. Should be fine

I typically use a corded drill for rotary cleaning as long as I have power nearby. I clean enough it is really hard on expensive cordless stuff to use it all the time. But if it grabs in the cap or something it can get exciting.

Reactions: begreen
Never even tried my cordless. I use my 1/2" hammer drill. The side handle makes it so much easier to control all 11 rods in my 32' chimney. I put it in the lower speed and make sure to feather the trigger and not go too crazy with the RPMs. Zero issues after 10 years.

I use a corded drill with the speed turned down. No issues. Read, I think in my directions or on their web site, the caution that corded drills can run at much higher speeds.

My cordless drill is a very early, now very old, drill.

Reactions: jmb6420
I use an 18 V DeWalt. It's fine.

I do think that they specify cordless because they can run at lower rotation speed (because they are used for screwing as well). They warn not to go too fast if.you go through an elbow because every rotation is in essence a bending from one side 90 to 90 deg the other side. Doing that too fast taxes the rods mechanical integrity.

Reactions: jmb6420
I've always used cordless drills IIRC... currently just some 18V HF special.. I've been using the Sooteater annually since 2011... looks like I purchased it in 2010

I have about 20 feet of pipe which seems like uneccessary stress on my cordless when I have power at the stove. I use a corded with variable speed. Just don't start too fast and snap the rod fasteners. So far, no problems.

Reactions: fire_man
Our flue system is 20' up also. I have a strong, lithium-ion, 1/2", cordless, Makita drill. It loafs running the Sooteater. Ours is about 6 yrs old. It is still in good shape but does have battle scars from rubbing up against the screw points that hold the connector pipe together.