Source of faint odor found Harman P38

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gutlo

Burning Hunk
Feb 22, 2009
eastern connecticut
It was the gasket on the ash box door. Hadn't been replaced in 8 years. It was so flat that I thought it was a flat gasket. It was a 3/8" round gasket, same as the main door. Thanks to the good people at The Trading Post in New Milford Ct. who suggested changing every gasket, sealing all the joints on the exhaust pipes and a thorough cleaning. The odor was faint, but persistent.

Reactions: vinny11950
Hello
You can also install thecrosover air tube kit. Harman came out with this kit due to a strange acrid odor in some of their stoves. All new Harmans come with it.

I put one in my P38. See pics

Attachments

• 75F8141B-AD7C-4CDA-AA33-78B80F0A6904.jpeg
    75F8141B-AD7C-4CDA-AA33-78B80F0A6904.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 0FDA801A-10F7-4C9B-AD0C-43AEDD5DEF69.jpeg
    0FDA801A-10F7-4C9B-AD0C-43AEDD5DEF69.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 210
It was the gasket on the ash box door. Hadn't been replaced in 8 years. It was so flat that I thought it was a flat gasket. It was a 3/8" round gasket, same as the main door. Thanks to the good people at The Trading Post in New Milford Ct. who suggested changing every gasket, sealing all the joints on the exhaust pipes and a thorough cleaning. The odor was faint, but persistent.

I had a faint odor of smoke every time my P61a started up - from the day it was installed (by professionals). I double taped all the joints, replaced the firebox door gasket and finally just learned to live with it. I changed the ash pan door gasket this summer, and have not had any hint of smoke odor this fall.

Don 2222,

Did installing the crossover kit eliminate the acrid odor?
Yes on many stoves years ago.
Since the new stoves come with the kit installed it is no longer a problem.

Yes on many stoves years ago.
Since the new stoves come with the kit installed it is no longer a problem.

Don2222,

Many thanks for this info. Installing the ash box door gasket got rid of the smoke problem, but then the acrid smell, which had been masked by the smoke, emerged. I try the kit.

Don2222,

Many thanks for this info. Installing the ash box door gasket got rid of the smoke problem, but then the acrid smell, which had been masked by the smoke, emerged. I try the kit.
The Kit says to use a 25/64 inch drill bit but I used a 3/8” inch drill bit and the brass collar fit much better. Also I used a small piece of wire to guide the collar into the hole from the back side. It worked great!
Good luck!

The Kit says to use a 25/64 inch drill bit but I used a 3/8” inch drill bit and the brass collar fit much better. Also I used a small piece of wire to guide the collar into the hole from the back side. It worked great!
Good luck!

Don2222,

Thanks again for the tip about the drill bit. I work with wood (pianos), not metal. No problem drilling into a $30,000 Steinway grand, but a 9 year old $800 pellet stove gives me the willies. I'll drill a smaller hole, then work up to 3/8".

Isnt the ash pan under negative pressure? Wonder how smoke would escape if that were the case. I guess its probably not under much pressure in that area.

Isnt the ash pan under negative pressure? Wonder how smoke would escape if that were the case. I guess its probably not under much pressure in that area.

Didn't see any smoke, my wife detected a raw odor, It is negative air pressure. The kit can alleviate the mixing of exhaust with hot air output. If I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, it's because I'm not sure.

UPDATE: Got the kit from my Harman dealer. When I read the instructions, it said to take out the auger. Didn't have time for that, but my buddy noticed that the cold air input wasn't connected. Gonna hook that up and see if it alleviates the situation before taking the stove apart to install the kit.