sources for storage tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I called local propane suppliers and asked for scrapped 500 gallon propane tanks. They supplied two at $200 each. The down side is you don't really know the inside condition because they usually pull the valves on scrap tanks and let them sit outside. I cut access ports large enough to go inside if needed and found one just oily inside and the other with plenty of surface rust. A good pressure washing and for the most part they were good to go. Had a local fab shop radius some steel plate to match the openings I cut and MIG welded it back up. Might pay to have a pro do the welding to minimize chances for leaks. The fab shop usually MIG welds and then follows up with TIG to seal up any porous weld which can be common with MIG welding. They scrap the tanks if the data plate is missing or there is significant surface rust. The tanks are about 5/16" thick and designed for 300 or so PSI do they will easily do the 15psi for thermal storage. I also welded on some 1 1/4" npt ports in appropriate places, just need to drill a hole with a hole saw. Weld on threaded ports for the side of a radiused tank are available from mcmaster carr. If your local code requires ASME certified tank(s) then you will have to purchase them. My system is installed in an outbuilding and a failure isn't going to damage anything and a tank full of pressurized water is not going to explode like a tank of pressurized air.

Last edited:
I went with brand new tanks direct from Tarm.

I added a 2,000 gallon stainless steel milk tank that was a transport tank off a truck that a guy had used to haul water in for years. It was already insulated. I give $800.00 dollars for it 10-12 years ago bought off craigslist. Lots of tanks on facebook and craigslist.

SS tanks are gobbled up by maple syrup producers around here.
My concern with a used propane tank would be getting it properly coated or cleaned inside.
I'm not sure the 400 gallon TARM would be enough, and that is one heck of a hit if you need two Tarm tanks. I guess I could always see how it works with 1, then add another if needed down the road.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

SS tanks are gobbled up by maple syrup producers around here.
My concern with a used propane tank would be getting it properly coated or cleaned inside.
I'm not sure the 400 gallon TARM would be enough, and that is one heck of a hit if you need two Tarm tanks. I guess I could always see how it works with 1, then add another if needed down the road.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
One of Hearth .com members runs American Solar Technics. Its an unpressurized design. I have one. It takes up a lot less room and he can custom size them. Its made out of blocks of insulation so its well insulated. He also makes and sells the heat transfer coil that are required. It can be moved down into tight spot as its assembled in place. I did it myself.

Reactions: Highbeam
I added a 2,000 gallon stainless steel milk tank that was a transport tank off a truck that a guy had used to haul water in for years. It was already insulated. I give $800.00 dollars for it 10-12 years ago bought off craigslist. Lots of tanks on facebook and craigslist.
Where do you put something so big?

Propane tanks at a scrap yard
The inside will be fine,just clean out the stink with a pressure washer.
I added extra ports,had a professional welder do that.
filled with water and tested to 80PSI
spray foam the outside

Attachments

• DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 116
Where do you put something so big?
Its not really that big. Something like that would work for me. since its a round cylinder that is limited to 8' width. it couldn't be much more than 8' high. 2000 gallon = 267 cubic feet. If we assume a 7' diameter round internal, you get like 7' long. I would assume more like 10-12 feet long and smaller in diameter.