Sparks Flying

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shesaluke

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2008
northern ny
We are having some issues with our pellet stove, many of which have been answered by the other discussions, but this one I did not see. Just a little background - this is our first winter using the pellet stove, but not the first winter the stove has been used. We are currently renting so we don't know everything about the pellet stove, nor do we have the instruction manual for it. So my question is, is it normal to have sparks flying out of the vent? I already believe the vent needs to be extended out from the house farther and vertically, because it is really short and only goes horizontally. Could this be why we are seeing sparks or is this normal?

Do you mean sparks are flying outside of the stove completely? That's definately not supposed to happen. You should see sparks jumping out of the burn pot as pellets drop in, but not outside of the stove. Can you snap a photo of the stove and post it? I'm sure someone here can identify the make/model.

sparks flying out of the vent is not unusual. as long as its not shooting continuous sparks out it should be fine as long as the install was done correctly (like 3 ft clearance to combustables).

Short horizontal venting is really the only time you will see any sparks flying out of it, and even then, not often. I know someone who has that set-up too, and the most I saw sparks coming out was maybe 1 or 2 a minute.

How far is the end of the pipe from the side of the house? How high off the ground is the end? Is there anything directly underneath that could burn?

EDIT: Isn't the landlord responsible for the original installation, and any modifications? I wouldn't change anything without their WRITTEN OK.....otherwise, you would be liable for anything bad that might happen.

Hey macman...looks like another sale for a cardboard spark bucket. :lol:

Please excuse all the dirt and junk on and around the stove. Like I said we are having some issues with it. Right now we have it turned off because it was acting up this morning and now it needs to be cleaned. So about the sparks, several times when we have driven up to the house we have seen sparks shooting out of the vent outside.

Attachments

• Camping 004.JPG
    Camping 004.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 552
when pellets are pushed or dropped into the burn pot...the sparks will fly out of the pipe in a horizontal install.
It shouldnt be an issue

As far as the modifications are concerned, our landlord told us there was extra pipe to fix it if we wanted. She's not very good about getting stuff done and my husband is pretty handy, so we'd just rather do it ourselves.

I get sparks a lot, straight vent, no fire yet, go right out after hitting the ground.

Also, I just checked to see what the length of the pipe is outside and it is definitely not three feet out from the house. Two, maybe. Three definitely not. The worst thing is our landlord is someone we know, but she always gives us a hard time whenever we have problems around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.