splitter design help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boostnut

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2007
central IL
I'm in the middle of a major rebuild on an old John Deere splitter. The whole thing is disassembled and will be nothing like the original when I'm done. My questions are as follows:

1. Does your splitter have a filter for the hydraulic fluid? If so, is it in the return line between the tank and valve OR in the intake line between the tank and pump?

2. What fluid should I use for mostly cold weather (< 50 degrees) work? I dont have an operators manual or any info on the cylinder so I was just planning to use a typical tractor hydraulic fluid, not sure of what weight to use though.

3. Does your hydraulic tank have a breather or just a pipe plug in the top fill port?

Any input appreciated, Aaron

boostnut said:
I'm in the middle of a major rebuild on an old John Deere splitter. The whole thing is disassembled and will be nothing like the original when I'm done. My questions are as follows:

1. Does your splitter have a filter for the hydraulic fluid? If so, is it in the return line between the tank and valve OR in the intake line between the tank and pump?

2. What fluid should I use for mostly cold weather (< 50 degrees) work? I dont have an operators manual or any info on the cylinder so I was just planning to use a typical tractor hydraulic fluid, not sure of what weight to use though.

3. Does your hydraulic tank have a breather or just a pipe plug in the top fill port?

Any input appreciated, Aaron

1) Generally there is a strainer on the intake inside the tank (screen mesh ~100 microns) then the spin on filter is on the low pressure return line to the tank (~10 microns)

2) The pump is the most critical component, and what would govern the viscosity/type of fluid to use. Then you would look at the minimum expected start-up temp, and max expected operating temp (called the 'operating window') and find something that brackets that viscosity. But, barring any manufacturer specs or recommendations, I'd just go with some middle of the road / all purpose fluid. This link has some info, but again, you need the mfr's recommended specs.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=974

3) The tank should have a breather as a minimum - a breather/filter/desiccator would be ideal, there will be a fluid volume change when everything heats up or cools down, plus when cycling the cylinder from the rod side to the back side of the piston, the rod displaces fluid, so it's gotta breath.

1) Intake between the tank and pump.

2) ATF below 30F.

3) Breather

Status
Not open for further replies.