Splitter filters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey all
I had a Fram P1653A on my splitter , and the closest I could get was a car quest 85551 filter..what brand are you using.
I looked up a wix filter and these did not come up the same..a 51551, and then 51259..What filter should I be using on my splitter?

Wix has a few with different filtration specs. The 51551 is a 10 micron. 20 micron version, use 51552 - for 33 micron, use 51553. They are good for up to a 16GPM pump.

Assuming you have the filter head which comes on most splitters. It's the same as what my old Speeco has and the one that came on my CountyLine.

51259 has different gasket dimensions, I would not use that one.

Bfy1lgP.jpg

Spin on ...

I would remove the filter that's on it and just measure the filter head's gasket mating surface. This will tell you whether the Wix 51551/51552/51553 are the correct ones. Chances are it is. The filter head looks like the standard one found on most splitters.

I had the fram P 1653A in the pic. and I installed a Car craft 85551 to fix the engine throutle kickdown problem..I'm thinking on putting a WIX fiter hence the question.
Wix says the 51551 replaces the Fram , just looking for a better quality filter

I picked up a WIX 51553 When I locate my hydro fluid I'll swap it out..

Reactions: DodgyNomad
Fram would be one of the last brands I'd choose. I'd take a Wix, Baldwin, Fleetguard, Donaldson, Hastings, etc over a Fram. They used to be known as the orange can of death. I don't know if things have changes over the past 10 years, but Fram was considered to be one of the worst filters back then. In terms of construction quality, not necessarily in filtering ability. I guess the Fram Ultra is a good one, but that's an engine oil filter.

Reactions: sloeffle
85551 is either a Wix or a Clarcor (aka Baldwin). Those are who makes the "blue" filters for Carquest/Advance Auto. More than likely it will say on the side of it. IMO baldwin is good stuff and I would run it. I run that same number on my Gravely zeroturn. Now the "red" are a different story. I don't run them.

According to my Speeco/Huskee Owner's Manual parts Diagram, page 9, item #13, the Speeco part number is: 390601A0. This corresponds to the Wix 51249 hydraulic filter at a nominal micron rating of 10 microns.

FWIW.