Splitter set up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey
How level do you try to get your splitter before you start ?
Do you even bother ?
Just curious ..

Mine's on the back of my tractor and there is no level ground on my property that wasn't made with a bulldozer for a building. Only concern I have is the operation of the engine.

I have a round under the tongue its kinda level i never checked

I just eyeball mine. I leave it setup in one place most of the time, and have the front and back jacked up so it’s higher off the ground. Means I have to bend over less. I don’t split huge rounds, so lifting them up that little extra bit isn’t a big deal.

My H/V splitter's oil tank has the breather/filler on one side. If that side is too low, when the oil expands because it's hot, it will start oozing out of the filler cap. Of course my wood lot is gently sloped that direction and it's too difficult to turn the splitter the other way and that would put me on the wrong side anyhow. So I often block it up on a 2x6 on that side

I try to get it sort of level front to back using the trailer jack but don't worry too much about it.