Splitters and kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
You guys who have switched to using splitters, I'm guessing that you get ALOT less fragments for kindling, yes? I generate quite a pile of scraps while splitting which I use for kindling, and when I think about going to a splitter, it's clear I'd have to get that elsewhere. Am I correct?

You still get them just not as much.

Normally it looks like mulch around the splitter.
I get oak blocks to use for kindling that comes from a place that makes Church pews but if i didnt i would take some of the softer wood when splitting and just make up a bunch of kindling there and then.

Oak for kindling?!?! Sheee-yit, you guys are so lucky...!

I am lucky I get to pick wich kind of wood I want to burn.

precaud said:
Oak for kindling?!?! Sheee-yit, you guys are so lucky...!

Its crazy ...... I drive down to the building and they throw all the left over Oak scrap away in the big dumpster on the side of the building every week or so.
I just drive my truck down there open up the side of the dumpster and start throwing it in my tuck until the back the the 8' bed is full , drive it home and store it in 55 gallon barrels. Pictured is how i bring it into the house.

The dumpster is like 25' long X 6' wide. The owners of the company says take all you want , they pay to have to dumpster taken to the dump anyway.

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 741
I get about the same amount having used the splitter for about 10 hrs so far this year.

Pallets from a well drilling company near me make great kindling. I cut the slats into 6" pieces and the frame into 12" pieces. I only take the ones that are burned/stamped 100% Hardwood.

njtomatoguy said:
I only take the ones that are burned/stamped 100% Hardwood.
Where do you look for that stamp? I've never seen it on any pallets I've grabbed.

Roo, you make me sick. That is some fine kindling. I guess I'll have to scout my neighborhood for a church pew maker. ;)

Mo Heat said:
Roo, you make me sick. That is some fine kindling. I guess I'll have to scout my neighborhood for a church pew maker. ;)

:lol: Makes my brother sick too , he is a wood woker and lives out of state so when he comes to visit he brings his trailer and gets a load of Oak and glues them togother to make some very fine looking wood/oak items , he just cant believe we burn this stuff. He(( its that or it go into the land fill.

Precaud-
it's stamped right on the side of the pallet- I fished a piece with the stamp on it out of the crate, and will post a pic as soon as I get a camera.

BTW, it looks so cool burning, the letters glow. I'll try to get a pic of that too..

njtomatoguy said:
I fished a piece with the stamp on it out of the crate, and will post a pic as soon as I get a camera.
Is that to say, it's on your xmas list?!?! ;-)

BTW, it looks so cool burning, the letters glow. I'll try to get a pic of that too..
Ha! Like that old commercial where the branding iron turns into fire...

Christmas list- or when the price is right.. I really want the ryobi splitter more than the digital camera, and since I bought a 10" compound miter saw last week, toy prchases are on hold..

njtomatoguy said:
Christmas list- or when the price is right.. I really want the ryobi splitter more than the digital camera, and since I bought a 10" compound miter saw last week, toy prchases are on hold..

*********** :bug: ************

Me too, but I'm set for this year so there's no rush.
Our local HD was a bit behind the curve, they didn't get the Ryobi into the store until Nov. 13th, by which time most people here had their wood processed. I was there yesterday, they still had all 4 units in stock. I smell a future sale... :)

precaud said:
Me too, but I'm set for this year so there's no rush.
Our local HD was a bit behind the curve, they didn't get the Ryobi into the store until Nov. 13th, by which time most people here had their wood processed. I was there yesterday, they still had all 4 units in stock. I smell a future sale... :)

Manager special!? better check back often.

GOT IT!!

It took almost an hour for them to find it, but I got my RYOBI today.. Split about half a cord with it..

AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Actually, the price was better than right- hit a $50 lotto ticket- justified the the purchase!!!

njtomatoguy said:

Now we need pictures af the saw and the splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.