St. Croix auger intermittent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

61snowrider

Jan 11, 2010
Central Pa.
Gentlemen: I replaced my st. croix auger motor 2 years ago and now I think it is doing the same thing. When the hopper is empty the auger will turn, but when I put a handful of pellets in, it wont turn. If I move around the pellets with a screwdriver in the auger, sometimes it will turn, but not for long ( about 1 revolution ) then stops again. Would I need to replace the motor again?

More than likely. Usually one can get many years out of a auger motor assembly. I would paint the auger and tube with graphite paint to help the pellets slip and have less resistance for the motor next time around.

I usually replace the lower auger bearing when I replace the auger motor. If the bearing is bad, it will cause a new auger motor to wear out prematurely!

The motor develops very little torque at the armature, so if the bearings are sticky, the motor can't run well. See if there are oil ports at each end of the armature, and lube the bearings/bushings and see what happens.When mine got dry (I didn't oil them, as they were well hidden), the motor ran slowly enough that it barely kept the fire going. You should get more than two years from an auger motor.

I use 3-in-1 electric motor oil now, with good results. Regular oils can get gummy with the heat and dust.

I'm betting the upper auger bushing is dry and galling on the auger shaft. Very easy to pull auger and lube both bushings.

Have also seen bent flutes on auger near the top before, so also worthwhile to check this when disassembled.

Usually a file can correct burrs, dings etc and prevent future metal to metal binding.

Good point about the upper bushing. Mine wasn't frozen, but it had old, dried, caked on grease on it. I now have the habit of grabbing the auger at the bottom of the hopper (when the pellets are quite low) and wiggling the auger to make sure it still turns free and easy. Carefully, as it wouldn't do to get a finger caught...

Thanks folks for the responses!! I think I will replace the bottom bearing and also pull the auger out and check the other end. I was eager to hear from everybody and now is the day to work on it. And yes get another new auger motor. Thanks

Does anyone know a good place to buy felt to cut your own gaskets for the pellet stove? I read on here somewhere that someone found a place that had thick material that lasted longer. Has anyone tried the material that you use for the head gasket in a car motor? This would be cheaper. Would it withstand the high heat? Any links for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Assuming it's the same as typical St Croix stove. Loosen allen screw on shaft and remove two nuts on motor bracket to remove auger motor and gearbox from auger. Remove remaining top two nuts and pull auger plate asy from auger chute, try to keep white gasket in one piece. Remove auger. Lube top and bottom bronze bushings during reassembly

Thanks for responding so quickly. I wanted to know if there was something holding the auger shaft in at the top of the auger, but I did manage to find that information out this morning. My brass bushing at the top of the auger was frozen up on the shaft. I have a new bushing ordered. What would you suggest I lube the bushing with? Graphite? This unit is fourteen years old, I've never removed the auger shaft form it until this morning.

Sorry, forgot to mention auger maybe stuck and you'd have to fight to get it out! Heat really takes a toll on upper bronze bushng.

I usually soak them in oil, then put a dab of high temp grease on top of auger so it can melt downward into bushing over time.

Make sure you polish top of auger where it rides in bushing, assuming it's a bit scored. Good luck. Love those st Croix units

Reactions: heat seeker
Sorry, forgot to mention auger maybe stuck and you'd have to fight to get it out! Heat really takes a toll on upper bronze bushng.

I usually soak them in oil, then put a dab of high temp grease on top of auger so it can melt downward into bushing over time.

Make sure you polish top of auger where it rides in bushing, assuming it's a bit scored. Good luck. Love those st Croix units

Thanks for the info. I've never pulled the auger before on my stove. I know, major neglect on my part. But I've never had an issue with it feeding in the 10 years I've had it.I'm planning on doing it this weekend. It's an Auburn model. Does the upper bushing come out with the auger? If not, is there a trick to removing it?

Thanks for the info. I've never pulled the auger before on my stove. I know, major neglect on my part. But I've never had an issue with it feeding in the 10 years I've had it.I'm planning on doing it this weekend. It's an Auburn model. Does the upper bushing come out with the auger? If not, is there a trick to removing it?
How did you do on getting the auger out? I have a St. Croix and yes have replaced the auger motor now twice in 12 years. I'm curious to how you got the top bearing out that everyone is referring to. I don't recall ever having the top bearing come out. Maybe that is my problem.. I may need to replace that bearing. Let me know please. Thank you