St. Croix Hastings Door Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
Hey guys. In replacing my door gasket, I had to remove the door handle. Now when I screw the handle back in, the screws feel loose and won't tighten so when I close the door, it's not as tight as it should be. Any idea what I can do? Do I just try slightly wider screws?

Did you lose a washer/spacer? With a new gasket i would think the door would be even tighter.

No, I'm talking about the latch that seals the door shut. I don't have the original screws for it. The 2 I'm using don't get tight, they just spin. So just wondering what screw to get so that they don't spin, thus making the door close tightly. See pic

20181202_212642.jpg

Ahh ok most use machine screws, some have nuts on the back. Some tapped. Id hit the local ace hardware and get a couple and put a thin lock nut on the inside

Reactions: heat seeker
Um,you lost the original screws,and stripped out the original screw threads in the backing plate?It is fixable,but you may require a friend.