St. Croix Hastings Flashing 2 Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
Hi guys. I've had this stove for years with not too many issues. I started it up this year as it's getting colder and it ran OK the first time. After the room reached the temperature and the thermostat told the stove to shut down, it started to shut down and started flashing the #2 light. I fired it up again the next night by pressing the on button and it worked, but same flashing 2 light while it was shutting down. I blew through the vacuum switch and is air supposed to go through the switch when you blow? I was only able to get air through it when I sucked on the hose. I could hear the flap open, but when I blew, I had resistance. I took the stove apart and cleaned it pretty well. Didn't find any major clogs. Didn't get too much out from behind the firebox wall. Put it all back together and when I went to fire it up, it starts to drop pellets, then shuts down with the flashing 2. I jumped the vacuum switch wires with a paperclip and it's working fine like that. Could it just be a bad vacuum switch? Am I risking running the stove with the switch bypassed? I don't have a lazy flame or anything else that seems to be an issue. Thanks.

from the manual....
My Stove isn’t burning and the number 2 LED light i
s blinking.
This diagnostic
light indicates the vacuum switch no longer senses
negative pressure in the firebox
area of the Stove. What caused the Stove to go out?
a. The door of the unit was left open longer than 6
0 seconds.
(See solution)
b. The ash pan door was left open for longer than 6
0 seconds.
(See solution)
c. The combustion fan is not running. (Defective
fan or control board)
d. The vacuum switch is defective.
e. The vacuum hose is disconnected
f. The vent system is plugged with fly-ash.

1- i have had issues with my stove. i bypassed the vacuum switch and was able to rule that out.

2- is your liner/clean-out/vents clean? i know if the liner or exhaust is clogged, that will shut stove down and blink #2

Yes I cleaned out the liner and used a leaf blower to suck out from the roof. What is ruled out since the stove runs fine while I have it jumped?

you mean it runs fine when you jumped /bypassed the vacuum switch?

i missed that, normally that means your vacuum switch is bad...... i would by a new vacuum switch and probably wouldnt run it bypassed, but that is me.

sometimes amazon prime has switches

You never want to blow into the vac switch.you should disconnect the tube from the switch and blow into the tube back towards the stove. Blowing into the switch can damage it. Also need to disconnect the tube from the vacuum switch when using the blower on the vent. Sounds like a bad vac switch to me

Reactions: heat seeker
OK I ordered a new switch. I plugged the switch back in after I bypassed it and it worked for several hours last night. I just can't rely on it so I figure hopefully the new switch will resolve the issue. Thanks guys.