St Croix Prescott EXL stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

all

Feb 6, 2019
United states
I have a St Croix Prescott EXL stove that starts and burns as normal for 15-20 minutes. Once it reaches operating temperature the auger then shuts down and discontinues to feed resulting in the fire going out and the stove shutting down. Everything else appears to be ok and working correctly as it did in the past. I have cleaned the stove thoroughly and there appears to be no blockage or drafting issues. My unit was built in 2001 and therefore has the older analog board so there are no indicator lights available to assist me in diagnosing the issue. The only possible cause that I can think of that might have contributed to my issue is that I did burn hard pellets for my smoker in error for one fire before I discovered the error. I cleaned those pellets out and cleaned out the stove completely before replacing with the correct soft pellets. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try first. Is it possible that the proof of fire sensor is faulty and that is resulting in the auger shutting off ? If anyone has experienced a similar problem I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Hello
Yes I work on them all the time and the most likely cause is either a bad vacuum switch or the low limit switch on the side of the exhaust blower housing.
There is a very nice digital panel update kit that is not to hard to install if you want to put a T-Stat on the stove. You can also put a WiFi T-Stat to work with your smart phone too after installing this kit.
The digital panel heat level 2 light will blink if the vacuum switch is bad and the 3 light will blink if the low limit switch is bad.
Although this is most likely not your problem the heat level 4 light will blink if the high limit switch is bad.
Another good feature is that every time you start the stove up the digital control panel goes thru the diagnostic test so you know if one of these switches is bad right away so it does not run for 15 minutes and quits. :)

Last edited:
There is a very nice digital panel update kit that is not to hard to install if you want to put a T-Stat on the stove. You can also put a WiFi T-Stat to work with your smart phone too after installing this kit.

Don2222 I'll be looking into theWIFI T-Stat upgrade.
Who do you use for a parts supplier? I'm needing a vac switch and low limit temp switch for my 2007 Prescott EXL. Just replaced my combustion blower motor. Was down for a week waiting for motor and agonizingly listening to propane furnace kick in every night. Need a speedy parts supplier.

Don2222 I'll be looking into theWIFI T-Stat upgrade.
Who do you use for a parts supplier? I'm needing a vac switch and low limit temp switch for my 2007 Prescott EXL. Just replaced my combustion blower motor. Was down for a week waiting for motor and agonizingly listening to propane furnace kick in every night. Need a speedy parts supplier.
Don is a busy man. You would be better off sending him a PM.