St Croix switch problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfarm

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2012
wisconsin
I haven't seen the problem discussed before. The switch on the front of the control board that changes the setting between smartstat, thermostat and Manuel is loose

I unplugged and took the cover off the control board and looked. I can see where it came loose from but didn't want to force it back on risking breaking the control board

I put the cover back on and just left it on thermostat mode

Today when I turned the thermostat up to 75 degrees with the stove running on level 4 it seemed to back off with the room air fan not blowing as strong and the fire getting really low. I monkeyed around with that switch and it started running well again

Any ideas on how to fix that switch and get it attached to the board again without having to buy a whole new control board?

I haven't seen the problem discussed before. The switch on the front of the control board that changes the setting between smartstat, thermostat and Manuel is loose

I unplugged and took the cover off the control board and looked. I can see where it came loose from but didn't want to force it back on risking breaking the control board

I put the cover back on and just left it on thermostat mode

Today when I turned the thermostat up to 75 degrees with the stove running on level 4 it seemed to back off with the room air fan not blowing as strong and the fire getting really low. I monkeyed around with that switch and it started running well again

Any ideas on how to fix that switch and get it attached to the board again without having to buy a whole new control board?

LockTite has a product called "Super Adhesive Gel" I would apply a little to the back of the switch and glue it to the control board, or around the edges of the switch to the control board. Be careful not to bridge any connections or solder points if you do this.The only problem is that if the fan starts acting funny you won't be able to reposition it. You will have to replace the whole board. You would have to do that anyway if it went with out gluing it.

Just a shot in the dark here - is the switch mounted right on the circuit board? If it is, the solder points may have come undone, which would explain the looseness and the improper operation. You'll probably have to pull the board out of the stove to check it - after you've unplugged the stove, of course. Soldering it back in place should be pretty easy once you're in there. (I'm thinking how my Afton Bay is set up.)

Gluing the switch in place isn't a bad idea, but that won't guarantee the electrical connections - if they are not good now.

Yes. I'm thinking the connection is bad.

I was hoping just putting it on the setting we want it on and leaving it would have worked but still having a few hiccups

Solder it. I always forget I have a solder gun

Status
Not open for further replies.